Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my desk couldn't hold the weight of my PC and it broke wheeeeeeeeeeeeee, so time to get a new one that isn't prebuilt.

I have a friend of mine that works at a local PC repair that is willing to put a computer together provided I have the parts and all to build it and they are all compatible with each other and such, etc.

I understand that there's a lot of controversy between which motherboards, power supplies, and cases should be used so I'll leave that up to you to depending on the hardware I post below; I also do not know which version of Windows tends to give you the most back for buck but I'd really like the 64-bit versions if you recommend any.

I know 'cheap' and 'high quality' don't tend to mix but please do the best you can; I don't mind if you recommend me a case that already has a PSU inside but just make sure it doesn't suck, because a lot of them do.

CPU: $147
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor
I hear nice things about it over here
!

GPU: $165
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 512MB PCIe x16 2.0
You know... four months ago wasn't this $200+?

Hard Drive: $60
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
I've been hearing good things about this one.

RAM: $41
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Cheap n' good RAM stuff from a reputable company.

Drive: $23
LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner
Does lots of stuff, nice rating too.

Mobo: $115
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
Looks like a good budget motherboard I guess, I might go and get the 1066 MHz RAM for this one...

PSU: $95
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
I usually hear good things about Corsair's products and you usually get what you pay for; the PSU itself looks extremely sturdy.

and thermal poo

So that's what I'd like to have for a mid-end system but I still need a compatible motherboard - psu - case combo, suggestions? I'd like to keep quality but at the same time get the job done well and have a reasonable price; (I don't want a Micro-ATX mobo).

Cheers.

$646 so far without the case or OS.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

How are the new Phenom II X3s? I'm not very familiar with triple-core CPUs... mostly dual-core and quad-core; according to some benchies the look nice though, will look into it and probably will end up buying.

I've never been to that site where that PSU is being sold on as I usually buy things on newegg but the $45 refurbished looks like a really hot deal considering on newegg they are $120 new; how reputable is that site with their customers?

Also I'm planning to rebuild in a few months and not right away so at the pace things are going I'm expecting prices to drop down quite a bit

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I'm going to put in another vote for the Phenom II X3's. These are amazing little chips, and really can't be beat for the price right now. Much faster than the 7750 BE. You'd be very happy with one.

·
Registered
952 Posts
+2 for PhII x3 , this cpu's are gaming beasts . For that price you can't go wrong.
Also about the HD4870 , you should wait a bit longer, soon the new GPU's will be released , and the prices will drop. So hold out until April , it will be worth it

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akisame View Post
+2 for PhII x3 , this cpu's are gaming beasts . For that price you can't go wrong.
Also about the HD4870 , you should wait a bit longer, soon the new GPU's will be released , and the prices will drop. So hold out until April , it will be worth it
Actually, might not even want to hold out til April, ATI price cut is due to take effect next week iirc, and the 4870 are supposed to drop from 199$ to 149$ so...

And about X3s, go for the 720BE none other, really. For gaming it's the best CPU you can get, really. And this one's easy to OC so that's even more performance for free...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure, edited my OP to reflect my decision.

Also, I plan to be building in May but I would like to pick out the products now... right now this system is running me down about $650 (not even including the OS) and I hope that by then prices will go down a fair bit considering all the new products coming out and dropping the prices of any new releases.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I would recommend this power supply over the previously suggested Cooler Master branded one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005

It's got the benifit of being cheaper, but besides that it is a much better power supply. It has only 1 rail instead of the 3 the CM has, which is better, and it's from a better manufacturer.

I would only look between Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, and some Antecs for my power supplies.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Gfx card most certainly will.
For the CPU if you're buying off newegg it might. These got in really high demand as soon as they got released and the unlockable fourth core added to that demand so prices went up, AMD suggested price for it is 149$ so it might go down a few bucks, wouldn't expect it anytime soon though

·
Registered
952 Posts
It's not just the price drop, the new gpu's that are coming this april are looking promising.

Edit: +2 for the Corsair , would have gotten one myself if they had it in stock at the time

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Get a corsair psu please, they're incredible.

I think you'll get more bang / buck with an intel processor right now (especially for gaming) than that one. Three cores seems a bit silly when things are generally scripted for four or two (and in the coming months more and more games will be for four cores). Conclusion: Q6600 and a Gigabyte ud3p, Only run you about 400 combined and will let you easily hit 3.4 Ghz on four cores.

RAM and HD seem fine.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh View Post
Get a corsair psu please, they're incredible.
Yeah sure, I'll go for a corsair PSU

As for the Q6600, I understand it's cool and fast but I've always used AMD and they seem to give me the biggest bang / buck right now so most likely I am going to stick with them; I hear that these things are nothing like the older Phenoms so I'd really like to try one out for my own and I see that they overclock very nicely too compared to previous models.

I'm going to count up and see exactly how much this is running me.

Edit: Right around $660

I'd like some slightly cheaper parts but not the the point where it will hurt my performance.

The OS will cost me another $100.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
I think you have picked some great parts, I am just curious why you picked a DVD-ROM drive when DVD-RW drives are only like $3 more.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post
I think you have picked some great parts, I am just curious why you picked a DVD-ROM drive when DVD-RW drives are only like $3 more.
I don't really have much need for a DVD-RW since I usually copy my stuff on USB flash (lol) but for about $3 more I wouldn't mind... might come in handy too.

Any specific drive you would recommend?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSandman
View Post

go check out my build thread

Cool, that cut things down a bit although the case in there went back up to $90.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts