Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a temporary workround for this. I downloaded a program called "Noisestopper". It writes a tiny config file to the directory it was launched from to keep the drive "alive".

I have attached it to this post

=====ORIGINAL POST======
I have an IDE hard disk that keeps powering down, it would appear to be every 5 minutes, like a kind of power saving thing. Trouble is its SO frustrating and I want to disable whatever is making it power down. My system keeps locking temporarily while the drive spins up and initialises.

It did not do this before I rebuilt my computer earlier in the week. It is a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 board, and it is a Seagate IDE drive.

I have checked in control panel > Power and hard disks are set to "Always On"
I have checked in the bios and cannot see anything obvious, although I might be overlooking something.

EDIT: Is there a registry key that defines a timeout for the hard disk?

ANy help much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XP, and I gota workround, see top of post.

I suspect its a feature of the new board, since it was recently replaced yet didnt do it on the old board.

I cant find any features in the bios though.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Set in the BIOS to never power down the HDD, and set in windows power management to never power down the HDD too.

I've actually had a problem before where the HDD kept spinning up and clicking and stuff. It was weird, and i could never tell when (couldn't find a pattern) or why it did it. It eventually stopped, though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myself View Post
I have checked in control panel > Power and hard disks are set to "Always On"
I have checked in the bios and cannot see anything obvious, although I might be overlooking something.

I cant see anything in the BIOS.

·
Yes
1,744 Posts
Have you tried going into Power Options under Control Panel and disabling the "Turn off Hard Disk" feature?

My Computer > Control Panel > Power Options

1 - 6 of 6 Posts