Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard support my current IDE hard drives? I don't see it in the specs but I'm told IDE and the MB will work together.

I think I'll need to buy a SATA hard drive. And now that I think about it, probably a new DVD drive/burner too.
Who is correct?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yes It'll support IDE but there is only on IDE port on the board so you probably couldn't run a IDE ODD and HDD. At least get a SATA Disk drive and you can still run the HDD, or vice versa.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Phreak
View Post

Yes It'll support IDE but there is only on IDE port on the board so you probably couldn't run a IDE ODD and HDD. At least get a SATA Disk drive and you can still run the HDD, or vice versa.

The IDE port supports up to two IDE devices so you can rand a HDD and ODD on it. However, the HDD performance maybe affect if the ODD is reading/writing at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Phreak
View Post

You're saying I'll only be able to hook up one of my 4 drives? (2 Hard Drives, CD/Burner, DVD)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
You can keep your 2 hard drives and just buy a SATA DVD Burner or buy a PCI CONTROLLER CARD for the dvd burner. But the PCI CONTROLLER CARD has to have the silicon image chipset controller.

IMHO for your situation I'd just buy a new large capacity SATA Hard drive and use your dvd burner on the one ide channel that the UD3P mobo has. I have my UD3P setup that way since I own many dvd burners. You can always use the ide hard drives that you have in a external enclosure.

Just my

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Well, you can buy an IDE add-on card

·
Registered
824 Posts
You will need a separate controller if you want to use all four devices. It will be the cheapest option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking I'm going to use the 2 ports on the IDE cable for my 250GB hard drive for irreplaceable data such as video, songs, work. I'll also keep the DVD drive as I haven't burned anything in 10 months. I'll get the Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive for expendable things (OS, games, more games).

FYI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts