Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my current case is falling apart. it was a cheapo case, it's about 2 months old and the rivets are loosening and the case is no longer in allignment. that's problem #1. problem #2 is that it came to me with a dent on the top edge. problem #3 is the side panel window is highly scratched. problem #4 is the case is kind of cramped on the inside and i don't like how cramped it is.

solution to #1 would be to pull it apart and rerivet it, not a problem. after pulling sunroofs on plenty of cars and riveting in sheet metal to meet NASA and SCCA rules, i'm quite handy with riveting.

solution to #2 would be to bondo the dent, then repaint the entire case. this is a little more time and effort i want to spend on this case.

solution to #3 would be to replace the plexi, which would be rather simple since it is just a basic square. plus, i don't like how i currently have a fan in my window. i'm a stickler when it comes to wires and having a fan wire draping down a window really bothers me.

solution to #4 would be to toss out this cheapo case and just buy a full tower. however, between having kids, and being in the process of moving, i really don't want to spend $150 on a case right now.

so now that i'm on vacation, and actually have sometime, i was thinking about doing this.... tearing the case down to the bare chasis. drilling out the lose rivets and rerivetting the case. painting the chasis flat black and the outside of the case OD green (i like OD green), leaving all the little dents and whatnot i currently have. and leaving the front panel black. replacing the side panel window with new plexi, then drilling and mounting a fan in the top. the only problem i might run into is mounting the fan in the top, since between my PSU and my DVD burner, there's a gaggle of PSU wires. so maybe i'll just mount the fan in the side on a lower corner or something.

anyhow, here's some pics of what i currently have. i have already cut the black center peices out of the side panel.

anyway, any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
No on solution three the answer is to get Very fine grit sand paper and sand down the plexi, thats how the do it out of the factory. Then if you want drill a hole for your can CLOSE to one side of the case(doesnt matter top bottom left or right) and hide the wire behind the not clear, part of the case.or you could just buy the new piece, but its still a fun thing to try out on your own.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Fire

No on solution three the answer is to get Very fine grit sand paper and sand down the plexi, thats how the do it out of the factory. Then if you want drill a hole for your can CLOSE to one side of the case(doesnt matter top bottom left or right) and hide the wire behind the not clear, part of the case.or you could just buy the new piece, but its still a fun thing to try out on your own.

Wow I must be tired but I didnt follow what you just said...

It looks like you have your tasks well thought out!

But I would take out those fake water fixtures on the front
of the case... I used to have a X-Dreamer2 and I could not
stand those things...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i sanded the case down, layed a coat on it. was highly displeased of how the paint reacted. because it's only 32 degrees outside, the paint would not lay right. it would bubble immediately. i even had 3 space heaters on the case while painting it.

so i wet sanded it, and layed a light coat on it. it still looked like crap. so i gave up.

here's what the case looked like after i gave up

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
disgusted and fed up with my cheap crappy case, i decided to buy something else.

for $39, i picked this up. it's the coolermaster centurion 5. not the best case on the market, but certainly a great case for the money. much better than my flimsy case.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heh, not painting this one.

well, atleast not until it starts to get f'd up from my daily abuse.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, i didn't clear it. i wanted a flat matte finish to get it as close to the chip resistant OD as i could. but the closest to OD was only available in a gloss finish.

it actually doesn't look that bad, and could easily be finished with some wet sanding and another light coat. but it's still not warm enough here to do it.

my son really likes it, so it's going to be used on a rig i am building for him after we move.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts