Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm going to be eliciting a case change soon due to a financial shift. (Need to pad my bank account and I'm going to see if I can sell my P183 with it's nice Noiseblocker fans and Noctua fan)

But the replacement case (From the spare parts bin) is a Thermaltake M9. Not the nicest or to my style but it'll do the job until things get better financially.

But anyhoo, I'm going to need to nab two fans for it. The H50 and Gentle Typhoon for it is going to go on the rear exhaust, and I'll probably put my Enermax Magma on the top side intake slot. But that leaves the bottom side intake and the front intake.

I'm thinking medium speed Yate Loons (I know where you get them from matters with the high speeds but does it as well for the medium and low speeds?) but is there any other budget fan that might fit the bill just as well? Slipstreams perhaps?

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
CM Blade Master, CM R4, Yate Loon D12SL-12.

All these are fans you can consider on a budget.

But they're all sleeve bearings.

S-FLEX are quite affordable, you should get some of those. Definitely last longer than a sleeve bearing, and you can of course carry them on to your next chassis.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, normally I'd shy away from sleeve bearings but these two fans would be quite temporary before moving into a nicer case like a year from now (Financial situation should be better then)

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Then get the R4's or Blade Master.

Yate Loons - make sure you only get them from Petra's or Sidewinder.
Check out Tator Tot's Yate Loon guide to know where you should get them from.

It makes a big difference, trust me on that.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
CM Blade Master, CM R4, Yate Loon D12SL-12.

All these are fans you can consider on a budget.

But they're all sleeve bearings.

S-FLEX are quite affordable, you should get some of those. Definitely last longer than a sleeve bearing, and you can of course carry them on to your next chassis.
if you get s-flex's (a little more expensive than r4's and yate loons) then you wouldn't have to change fans when you got your new case, they are very very good fans

edit: koolertek has beautiful prices on fans http://www.koolertek.com/computer-pa...E-184p1420.htm

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Get the blade masters or yate loons. Both with be great as budget case fans. Just remember to mount them vertically or you could run into problems down the road.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth777 View Post
Get the blade masters or yate loons. Both with be great as budget case fans. Just remember to mount them vertically or you could run into problems down the road.
This.
Vertical, i.e. front-back mounting matters a lot for sleeve bearing fans.

They wear out faster if you point them upwards/downwards due to the fact that the bearing and retaining mechanism isn't designed for optimal use in that condition.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
This.
Vertical, i.e. front-back mounting matters a lot for sleeve bearing fans.

They wear out faster if you point them upwards/downwards due to the fact that the bearing and retaining mechanism isn't designed for optimal use in that condition.
This. And it doesn't matter where you buy your medium YL's. The best deal I ever saw was at JAB-Tech.

Slip Streams are also great on a budget, but stay away from the 1900rpm version. The 1200 rpm is very pleasant.

Be sure to pre-lubricate and re-lubricate your sleeve bearing fans just as you would your car.

Your case looks like it should be OK. How much room behind the mb tray?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Zalman ZM-F3s are another good budget option. I think the CM R4s perform a tad better though and Slipstreams better than either for case fans although they are also bit more expensive.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttnose
View Post

Zalman ZM-F3s are another good budget option. I think the CM R4s perform a tad better though and Slipstreams better than either for case fans although they are also bit more expensive.

Right nice fans. I cover them all in item 1. in my sig. What I don't cover is the price.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, assuming I can find a buyer soon I'll be grabbing medium speed Yates from Jab-Tech. Also going to see if the front 5.25" mesh covers would be suitable for mounting another 120mm fan on the Thermaltake M9.

I'll also see about lubricating the Sleeve bearing fans properly. Does it make any difference acoustically or does it just allow the fans to run properly for longer before wearing down?

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
No more effect on your current performance than lubing your car. It's the future performance we are trying to save.

OTOH, you can sometimes stretch out a struggling fan.

·
OG AMD
8,923 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts