Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
I think I'm using 128K but never bothered to read up on that.

Anyone have a good reading on that? I'd like to find out what the difference between them are, thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kansei

A rule of thumb is half of the average size of files you deal with.

What if the average file size you are dealing with is 4GB?

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
I've been using 128K forever but my system has never crashed, well except when I try to overclock my E6600 sky-high then some programs get screwed up but everything goes back to normal again.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replys, i tried a couple, 16, 32, 64, and 128. imo 64k feels the fastest to me and got pretty good bench results, unfortunately I wiped the hdd again to go back to 64k from 128k cause that is not very fast at all, not much faster then 1 hdd when loading game maps, went back to 64k and it seemed like the best all around stripe size, very very quick load times. once again thanks for all the input.

PS. Lower the number shorter the length of the burst resulting in alot faster speeds, because of more bursts of the hdd stripe, it doesnt have to search the 128k stripe every time it just bursts the 16k quickly, whoever said higher the better in completely wrong unless you constantly move HUGE files then itll be good. (yes i read up alot about stripe size
)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
And how did 32K stack up in:

1. Game load times
2. Windows startup bars
3. Large file transfers.

Thanks for this btw

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
I really think you need to find the manufacturer specs on the HDD's and find out how large the blocks are when the platter is buffering into the onboard HDD cache. That will give you a clue how large of a stripe to make. In other words, optimize the HDD buffer to platter writing speed. That should yield the maximum speed.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
And how did 32K stack up in:

1. Game load times
2. Windows startup bars
3. Large file transfers.

Thanks for this btw
32k was very similar to 64k, if you have a smaller cache like 8mb i believe 32k would be better for you, but for me there was really no difference cept that 64k handles larger files better, and its no prob, always love to help a fellow oc'r

1 - 18 of 18 Posts