Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm thinking of how to try and repair this card. Basically it was my old card I gave to my cousin who never ever ever EVER cleaned his case crap was caked on it, low and behold it stopped working. After cleaning and going to reinstall the OS the screen turns to tons of weird colors and garbled looking stuff ONLY after the driver gets installed.

If I were to take apart the card and put pictures on here would anyone be able to possibly notice an issue?

Would baking it in the oven be an idea to try? If so how does one go about doing this? Is my over ruined afterwards and if so should I just use one of those mini ovens you can buy for 30$ on amazon like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ec-f2aa-5f2f-b958-1c85147de7f7&pf_rd_i=289937 ?

Thanks!
Surp

edit: please note i have tried it in known working computers as well so its not just his computer which has allowed me to believe it is the card. It is not crucial to get this card fixed this is more so just for fun to see if I can fix it somehow. I used DDU on the computers that were tested with the broken card and turned off the net so it wouldnt auto install the driver. Afterwards once the driver is installed card stops working again. FOR SCIENCE MY FRIENDS!

·
Registered
820 Posts
If dust created a short then it is probably dead. Can you at least clean the back of the PCB off? Take off the cooler too and just clean the whole thing?

I don't know about baking.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I would first look for a broken capacitor, burned resistance or broken contact rather than reballing with an oven, I'd save that as a last-ditch effort.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would first look for a broken capacitor, burned resistance or broken contact rather than reballing with an oven, I'd save that as a last-ditch effort.
Hmm I might have no idea what I'm looking at I think what I'll do is post really high resolution pictures here later today after I disassemble all the fans and backplate off it it and see if anyone can tell that theirs a busted contact or capacitor.

·
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)
8,188 Posts
Disassembly it entirely and pass it through the dishwasher then put it in direct sunlight for 2-3 days to make sure it's dry

·
Baller on a Budget
1,304 Posts
I do believe he is lol. Only thing I would say is washing with distilled would be a little safer, but again this card is already dead so.

Baking worked great for the old G80/G92 era cards, it brought back my 9800GT. Not sure if it still does with newer ones though. If it really overheated though it could theoretically help.

Strip the card, flip over (GPU side down) and elevate off a baking sheet with aluminum foil balls to keep it level, then bake it quick and hot (350-400 for 8-10 minutes if I recall correctly). Normal oven will work fine. Then remove and let it cool at least 30 mins or so before moving it.

Edit: I still have the pic wow

Attachments

·
Overclock.net user
447 Posts
Is possible if not seriously damaged

Hello,
for my experience the steps to take are few if you are not an electronic and you know how to solder microcircuits:
1) Clean the video card well.
2) Remove the cooler from the video card, leaving only the PCB.
3) Clean the video card well with careful visual inspection (very important step for problem diagnosis, could take away the hope of making it live again)
4) if the dirt is very stubborn, clean the card very well! :)
4a) It is also possible to wash it with soap, but it is always necessary to rinse with distilled water at the end and dry it quickly with hot air and leave it to "rest" for a few days in a warm and dry environment.
5) Replace the heat sink and test the card, if possible as a secondary and not as a main unit.
6) Update the video card bios (if available an update) or update with the same bios
7) Cross your fingers and try the video output
8) If it works, try the card as primary and check the 2D and 3D capacities of the card.
9) The oven can be used if the previous method has not worked or has worked partially (GIYF in any case).

Hope this could help.
Lic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts