Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=76B...A2D87F14905A78

Quote:

Microsoft has announced the first service pack for Windows 7, but has yet to reveal when a beta will be available to users.

The software giant said Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) will primarily contain "minor updates", including patches and hotfixes rather than new features.

However, Windows 7 users may have to wait until the end of the year to get their hands on the update. Earlier this month, Malaysian website TechArp, which has regularly predicted release dates for Windows and its service packs in the past, said Microsoft had shelved plans for a 22-month development cycle for Windows 7 SP1, and would instead release it in Q4.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Be honest with you.. Windows 7 and me, we good buds, he never does something stupid like crash on me, and I never touch him the wrong way, So its a good bond

Q4 though? ehh

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilrbe3
View Post

Be honest with you.. Windows 7 and me, we good buds, he never does something stupid like crash on me, and I never touch him the wrong way, So its a good bond

Q4 though? ehh

Hawt.

I'll be waiting for this.

·
Registered
865 Posts
SP1 already?!?! Hmm, just so they don't ruin it or anything! *knocks on wood*

·
Cuddly as a Cactus
2,120 Posts
Can only imagine how much better Win7 will be after SP1

·
PC Evangelist
46,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
Hopefully it improves battery life...
Yeah i noticed too. With Windows XP my laptop gets a bit more battery life then Windows 7.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NFL View Post
Can only imagine how much better Win7 will be after SP1
i guess not much since it's only slated to include minor updates.

probably will be more like XP SP3 or Vista SP2 in terms of improvements, than Vista SP1

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi View Post

For my laptop it does just fine. I have a 6 cell battery and I get 3 hours on W7 and 2.40 on XP. I would say that is an improvement on W7. Also, Microsoft has been looking into this whole "on noes W7 is draining my battery issue" and it applies to only a few manufacturers. W7 is not racist, its simply bad setups from some builders.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
If 7 is perfect atm (with around 9 months of use since RC, haven't failed onm me not even a single time), after SP1 it's gonna be flawless!

At least for this time Microsoft really did a good job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilrbe3
View Post

Q4 though? ehh

x2

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
SP1 is just a placebo.

Businesses are so incredibly biased that they won't touch a Windows operating system until Microsoft has released a service pack.

There isn't anything to add, there isn't anything to fix. All its likely going to be is a cumulation of security fixes since launch as well as updated ATI and nVidia drivers so we have full GF100/Evergreen support out of the box.

·
Banned
1,915 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi
View Post

Maybe using too much eye candy? XP does not have that, so...

Anyway, Win 7 even disables specific ports when not used to save battery life, it's epic.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

SP1 is just a placebo.

Businesses are so incredibly biased that they won't touch a Windows operating system until Microsoft has released a service pack.

There isn't anything to add, there isn't anything to fix. All its likely going to be is a cumulation of security fixes since launch as well as updated ATI and nVidia drivers so we have full GF100/Evergreen support out of the box.

If that's the case, why are they not releasing it until Q4? There has to be something else there that requires development because if it were just a cumulation of security fixes, they could release it now.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi
View Post

Use RMClock to undervolt and manually control / override the OS power management for the chipset & processor, and you can extend your battery life.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Touch wood-0% problems with W7 thus far.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts