Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a tech and I am having a problem with a customer's machine. Mozilla runs fine but won't do updates. IE8 and IE9 will not install. The machines says there is not a version for the version of Windows the customer is running. They are running Windows 7 Hone edition 64 bit.

Also, a system scan says some files are corrupt and can not be repaired. Any help would be appreciated. Even if you can just point me in a direction. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't want to do a re-install but it looks like that may be my only option.

Thanks Fred, your comment was very helpful. Oh, except they are not able to do any updates due to, most lkely, the same problem that won't allow IE8 to install.

+1 Lucky for offering up suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
go to Programs and Features and under Turn Windows features on and off unistall IE........restart and try to install 8

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Probably won't get much help with all the FF and Chrome fanboys around.

Some just can't seem to understand that IE has it's place and some people actually like it.

Sorry I don't have any other ideas to help.

• Rep+
Reactions: Zarchon

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You won't be able to install the standalone version of IE8 on windows 7. I went through all this crap when i tried to uninstall the IE9 beta. If your client has tried to install IE9, go to the installed updates page and get rid of it from there. Otherwise, how is it that your client was able to remove IE8? did they just simply delete it?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by weidass
View Post

You won't be able to install the standalone version of IE8 on windows 7. I went through all this crap when i tried to uninstall the IE9 beta. If your client has tried to install IE9, go to the installed updates page and get rid of it from there. Otherwise, how is it that your client was able to remove IE8? did they just simply delete it?

I have no idea. When he brought it in IE8 was gone and Mozilla would not update windows. It had to have been a slow day at OCN. I ended up just doing a recovery. Thanks for those who helped. To those who said not to use IE8, I am paid to fix what is broke not tell people what they should or should not use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts