Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting impatient waiting for newegg to restock the crosshair v board and they have an open box version for $191 but I'm not sure if ASUS covers an open box item. here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131876R

Also newegg says it may or may not include any accessories whats the chance of it actually missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,752 Posts
The chances of it missing something is a gamble. You only need to provide proof that you ordered the item from NewEgg to receive warranty support from Asus. If I were you I would not gamble if you really need the accessories and everything else that comes with the board.
 

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

The chances of it missing something is a gamble. You only need to provide proof that you ordered the item from NewEgg to receive warranty support from Asus. If I were you I would not gamble if you really need the accessories and everything else that comes with the board.
Well i don't need the accessories but it would be nice.

I'll wait for newegg to restock i hope they do it soon though im sick of waiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
I would not risk a open box motherboard purchase. Period.

Get a new one.
 

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

I would not risk a open box motherboard purchase. Period.

Get a new one.
yeah i guess i'll just wait till they restock and get a new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,080 Posts
ASUS warranties their motherboards through serial numbers. As long as the serial number sticker is on the motherboard you could be the 12th owner and still have warranty coverage as long as you're within the 3 years.

Open box items can be missing accessories, there's no guarantee they'll be there. You're not getting much other than SATA cables, front panel block, Xfire/SLI bridges and an I/O shield. All of which you probably already have since you're a member here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post

ASUS warranties their motherboards through serial numbers. As long as the serial number sticker is on the motherboard you could be the 12th owner and still have warranty coverage as long as you're within the 3 years.

Open box items can be missing accessories, there's no guarantee they'll be there. You're not getting much other than SATA cables, front panel block, Xfire/SLI bridges and an I/O shield. All of which you probably already have since you're a member here.
Is the open box item something that was returned for unknown reasons? Could it have been a defective board? Could it have been mishandled by the first purchaser?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

Is the open box item something that was returned for unknown reasons? Could it have been a defective board? Could it have been mishandled by the first purchaser?
All possible, I have read people got bent pins on open boxes. I read some people got lucky and they got a perfect board with all accessories and seemed like the original buyer returned it because they probably didn't like it. Some have not been lucky and got ones that were DOA, so seems like NewEgg doesn't really test these boards that are returned. The board could be mishandled by the first purchaser and then returned because the person didn't want a damaged board anymore. Pretty much it's a gamble either way, you could get lucky or you might not. You have to remember sometimes these boards are missing manuals, cables, I/O shields, and many other accessories because the original buyer did not return XYZ item with it because they either forgot to pack it, they lost it, or they're just straight up jerks. All NewEgg can really do is ask them to send the missing items but knowing disgruntled buyers they're just going to do a chargeback on their credit card instead of listening to a company. So they end up selling these returns at a discount, and I was thinking why waste time testing these returned boards when you can just have the buyer test them for you by buying it at a discounted price? Good strategy right?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,985 Posts
AFAIK you will get your 3 day warranty from the day it was originally sold when it was brand new, but i could be wrong. ASUS warranty is all though serial numbers.

Ive heard many stories where you get everything you need unopened with newegg's open boxes and ive also heard many stories where you get a damaged board with most of the things missing it can go either way. I personally have never bought an open box motherboard, and probably never will. I always see them and add them to my cart because of the good deals, but then i always talk myself out of it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post

I don't know about open box, but refurbished definitely not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I would honestly go refurbish before open box, open box means it was sold and returned and they claim they test them but they really don't. At least a refurbish the manufacturer has repaired it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,326 Posts
You read lots of horror stories about nightmare RMA's with all brands of boards. It is scary.
 

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

Even new Asus boards don't come with anything that we could actually consider a warranty.
oh come on don't tell me that after i just bought the sabertooth that claims it has 5 year warranty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
Asus don't have the best track record when it comes to customer support and honoring warranties, let alone on an open box (used) motherboard.

Just sayin...
 

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

Asus don't have the best track record when it comes to customer support and honoring warranties, let alone on an open box (used) motherboard.

Just sayin...
i bought my sabertooth brand new, so if anything happens down the road like say it sudenly stops posting i can expect them to say "you broke it now piss off" then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post

i bought my sabertooth brand new, so if anything happens down the road like say it sudenly stops posting i can expect them to say "you broke it now piss off" then?
I have just heard things. That's all I'm saying.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post

i bought my sabertooth brand new, so if anything happens down the road like say it sudenly stops posting i can expect them to say "you broke it now piss off" then?
After owning ASUS boards on many builds for around 10 years now, ive had to RMA one... my Maximus VI Extreme and it was not to bad of an RMA only complaint is how long it took them, from the time i shipped on a monday till i got it back was around 3 weeks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post

oh come on don't tell me that after i just bought the sabertooth that claims it has 5 year warranty


I typed in "Asus RMA" and this is what appeared.

They're definitely the worst of the bunch outside of true garbage like Diablotek, etc.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top