Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched the video below in which they point out at the Overclocking Results section that it's not worth overclocking it just for gaming.

Is the Wraith Stealth good for keeping this CPU cool at stock for gaming?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,217 Posts
If you aren't going to overclock then the stock cooler will work just fine. However it might not boost as much as it would with better cooling.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you aren't going to overclock then the stock cooler will work just fine. However it might not boost as much as it would with better cooling.
I've seen people say that, but they mention things like video editing, and I don't do that.

Still, yeah, I probably should invest in something that's better than the stock cooler.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,114 Posts
Just make sure you replace the stock thermal paste that comes pre-installed on it. I've heard a lot of people say the stock heatsink is trash but I've built several ryzen systems and I found that it's really the stock thermal paste that's the issue. So long as you use some decent thermal paste, it should work pretty well. The stock cooler that comes with ryzen CPUs is pretty good.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just make sure you replace the stock thermal paste that comes pre-installed on it. I've heard a lot of people say the stock heatsink is trash but I've but several ryzen systems and I found that it's really the stock thermal paste that's the issue. So long as you use so decent thermal paste, it should work pretty well. The stock cooler that comes with ryzen CPUs is pretty good.
Oh. Interesting. Thank you.

just don't use PBO..
What's PBO?

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,647 Posts
Oh. Interesting. Thank you.

What's PBO?
PBO is... A lot like old school auto-overclocking. Except not really, because it doesn't actually "overclock" anything.

PBO increases the maximum allowed power draw of the CPU, and uncaps the maximum boost speeds, letting the CPU "run wild" as fast as it wants to using the built in boosting algorithms (XFR) to go above "stock" boost values.

Its best used when you have a good cooler, for obvious reasons, and want that extra 3-5% performance for a much larger amount of power draw.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah screw it, I'm going with my original plan to get the Noctua NH-D15S. I wanted the chromax.black but it's out of stock and no site has an estimated time of when it'll be in stock. Besides, I guess chrome will look nice on the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING inside the white/silver Fractal Design Define 7. I don't know what memory I'm getting yet, but so far my parts list comes to $1023.56 after tax and shipping.
  • Fractal Design Define 7
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
  • Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Noctua NH-D15S
  • 1TB Inland Premium NVMe SSD for Windows
  • 1TB Crucial MX500 for games
Now to pick some memory. I won't be overclocking, just setting it to its advertised speeds and then I'll get on with enjoying my new system.

Oh, and anything missing from the list above is taken care of with the system in my signature, like a video card, the PSU, etc.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I'm using a 5800x without any overclock and in the mid 70's while gaming with a 360mm AIO. It still boosts several cores to 4.85Ghz with all settings on auto so I found OC is probably pointless. I think there's a reason they don't include a stock cooler, because it's not good enough. I realize your going with a 5600x, but it's still going to core boost and produce allot of heat.

As for mobo, I never see anyone mention the Asus TUF Gaming X570-PRO and I'm not really sure why. It offers all the latest USB connectivity along with onboard WiFi 6 for $219. It looks better in person than online, if that matters. I'v been using mine for a couple months so far and have no complaints.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm using a 5800x without any overclock and in the mid 70's while gaming with a 360mm AIO. It still boosts several cores to 4.85Ghz with all settings on auto so I found OC is probably pointless. I think there's a reason they don't include a stock cooler, because it's not good enough. I realize your going with a 5600x, but it's still going to core boost and produce allot of heat.

As for mobo, I never see anyone mention the Asus TUF Gaming X570-PRO and I'm not really sure why. It offers all the latest USB connectivity along with onboard WiFi 6 for $219. It looks better in person than online, if that matters. I'v been using mine for a couple months so far and have no complaints.
I can get the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING for $160 until 2am CST.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,114 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
3,114 Posts
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING looks like a good board, the m.2 arrangement is better than the other board you had mentioned.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a Shell Shocker.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING looks like a good board, the m.2 arrangement is better than the other board you had mentioned.
Yeah, I'm much more excited about this one. Far more.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,114 Posts
It's a Shell Shocker.
oh word. Looks like a good deal to me. I'd say no reason not to unless you want to get something cheaper.

The board I use can be bought for closer to $120 and has basically all the same features. I think they're pretty similar boards actually. ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus.

Unless you want to try to get something a little cheaper like I did, it def look like a good deal for brand new from newegg.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I'm looking at my current 16 GB memory getting filled to 60-65% while gaming with Watch Dogs 2 (the newest game I have for now...) if I don't close Firefox first, then should I consider 32 GB?

I can get this 32 GB kit of 3200 MHz CL16 Crucial Ballistix Crucial Ballistix 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Desktop Gaming Memory (Red) | BL2K16G32C16U4R | Crucial.com and I am thinking I should try to overclock it to 3600 MHz. Otherwise, I'd get this 16 GB 3600 MHz CL16 kit: Crucial Ballistix 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Desktop Gaming Memory (Red) | BL2K8G36C16U4R | Crucial.com

·
Graphics Junkie
3,114 Posts
If I'm looking at my current 16 GB memory getting filled to 60-65% while gaming with Watch Dogs 2 (the newest game I have for now...) if I don't close Firefox first, then should I consider 32 GB?

I can get this 32 GB kit of 3200 MHz CL16 Crucial Ballistix Crucial Ballistix 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Desktop Gaming Memory (Red) | BL2K16G32C16U4R | Crucial.com and I am thinking I should try to overclock it to 3600 MHz.
having more than 16GB of ram will make zero difference at all for gaming and there are still VERY few games that show any benefit from having more than 8GBs. PS5 and Xboxsx have 16 total. you would have 16 plus vram, 16 is enough.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
having more than 16GB of ram will make zero difference at all for gaming and there are still VERY few games that show any benefit from having more than 8GBs. PS5 and Xboxsx have 16 total. you would have 16 plus vram, 16 is enough.
Ah so even if I had a newly-released demanding game, I'd probably still not see more than 60-70% used?

·
Graphics Junkie
3,114 Posts
Ah so even if I had a newly-released demanding game, I'd probably still not see more than 60-70% used?
No, and the way windows 10 caches ram, it always looks like it's using a lot but it's not really doing anything except keeping it warm.

Even MSFS2020 barely shows an improvement going from 8GBs to 16GBs.

• Rep+
Reactions: TwoCables

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, and the way windows 10 caches ram, it always looks like it's using a lot but it's not really doing anything except keeping it warm.

Even MSFS2020 barely shows an improvement going from 8GBs to 16GBs.
Ooo boy, I'm about to order the majority of my new system then. Omg.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts