Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ultra X-connect, 20pin + 4-pin Power supply. My board is the same. If I get a DFI LP Ultra-D, Do I need to get a new PSU too, with 24 pin and 4-pin?

·
Registered
964 Posts
yer u will need a 24 pin psu as dfi need these, if you decide to get a converter it will void your warranty with DFI

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read that using a 20-24 pin adapter voides the warranty, but does it really do any damage to the board?

·
Registered
964 Posts
to be honest i have no idea! but if you are goin to spend alot of money on a product u dont really wana void the warranty over a small problem, but its your choice

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Ya you have to have a psu that has a 24 pin connector. My DFI manuel said not to use an adapter, that you could damage your board and void the warranty.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonnie5000

Ya you have to have a psu that has a 24 pin connector. My DFI manuel said not to use an adapter, that you could damage your board and void the warranty.

****, that sucks

my mobo is not DFI, i dont know if this applies for DFI only, but my computer came finished built with a 24 to 20 pin converter... when i got my new PSU, that had a 20 pin connecter plus a little 4 connecter on the side that you just put in next to the 20 if you got a 24 pin mobo, but the point is that the converter was stuck! i really couldnt get it off (and yes i was holding the clip in ^^), so i just use 24 pins in my converter... I dont know how the hell those can damage a mobo? What difference will it make? Anyone know an answer? ^^

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well F. Just bought that power supply a couple months ago.

And I'm guessing a 20-24 pin cable like this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...947&CatId=1107
is about the same thing as an adapter and no safer?

Also thought this info was useful.

The ATX form factor has had five main power supply designs throughout its lifetime:

* ATX - 20 pin connector (Used until Pentium III and Athlon XP)
* WTX - 24 pin connector (Pentium II and III Xeon and Athlon MP)
* ATX12V - 20 pin main connector, 4 pin secondary connector, 8 pin tertiary connector (Pentium 4 and Athlon 64)
* EPS12V - 24 pin main connector, 8 pin secondary connector, 8 pin tertiary connector (Xeon and Opteron)
* ATX12V 2.0 - 24 pin main connector, 4 pin secondary connector (Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 with PCI Express)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.