Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is If I buy an AMD mobo with 2 PCI-E x16 and its based off Crossfire does that mean that in the future if I wanna buy 2 Nvidia cards and wanna make them SLI I wont be able to, Unless I buy a new Mobo?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentdeathX

My question is If I buy an AMD mobo with 2 PCI-E x16 and its based off Crossfire does that mean that in the future if I wanna buy 2 Nvidia cards and wanna make them SLI I wont be able to, Unless I buy a new Mobo?

Yes, you'll need an SLI mobo to run SLI.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

Yes, you'll need an SLI mobo to run SLI.

Oh Okay thanx! But if I have an ATI mobo does that mean I wont be able to run a single Nvidia card on it?

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentdeathX

Oh Okay thanx! But if I have an ATI mobo does that mean I wont be able to run a single Nvidia card on it?

You can run a single nVidia card in it.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I suspect that there is a way to do this in both directions, sli on crossfire board and crossfire on an sli board. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to discover that all the mobo does in the equation is split the pci-e slots evenly. I'd love to see someone try this....

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Crossfire works much different from SLI. It has an integrated RAMDAC on the motherboard AFAIK or something like that. The chipsets are very different though.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro

I suspect that there is a way to do this in both directions, sli on crossfire board and crossfire on an sli board. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to discover that all the mobo does in the equation is split the pci-e slots evenly. I'd love to see someone try this....

I think it's mainly to do with drivers. If someone could hack the drivers then I suspect you could get crossfire on an SLI board and vice versa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts