Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i do if i overclock 2 high and i cant start up my computer? is there something i can do manually to reset the stuff to normal?

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
You have to reset cmos using a jumper on your motherboard. Check your manual for placement.

Edit: Wait, is it a dell motherboard? How did you oc it? Did you use software?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Just remove the CMOS battery out of ti and leave it out for 10 mins im not sure how much but an hour should be enough.
Also hit the on switch when the plug off to use up all the stored power.

Now turn it on you jsut need to input date and some settings in BIOS.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, actually, I don't know how much it differs depending on what motherboard you're running, but I only need to keep my CMOS battery out for about 15 seconds and it resets my BIOS.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
There should be a tab on the outer edge of the battery holder. Just press it and it should release slightly. Just pull it out after that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if your talking abought you vid card just hold ctrl during start up if its your ram youll have to reset your mother boared BIOS

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i used clock gen... didnt have a good experiance i set the settings from 2.8ghz to 2.9... and beep boom the computer went down........... yeah im never using a software overclock .... mehhhh need a modded bios than ill feel a bit safer with overclocking :\\

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay guys. I overclocked too high on my old cpu (pentium 3 800MHz, asus cuv4x) and I took out the battery and left it out for an hour. Put it back in and my bios is not reset still...

·
Registered
415 Posts
First unplug the power cord or flick the switch on the back of the power supply if you have one. Next hit your power button to remove all the stored up energy. Since you don't know about your Cmos jumper, just take out the battery and leave it out for 1-10 minutes. Place the battery back in and plug the computer back in or switch the psu again and turn it back on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just use the cmos reset jumper, after looking at the manual for your board it is confirmed. The jumper is right next to the battery as usual... diagram here:

http://www.coldsystems.net/overclock/clearCUV4X.jpg

EDIT: to use this jumper simply short the pins as it says, easily done with a spare hard drive jumper or if nothing else a small piece of metal (flat head screwdriver?) turn on the computer (while pins are shorted) and then unshort the pins, once the pins are unshorted the computer will turn on. then go back into bios and try again =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts