Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a crucial mx100 512gb ssd and today I will be receiving a ocz vertex 450 512gb ssd . I am thinking about putting them in raid 0 configuration that way my computer will recognize them as a single 1012gb ssd . if I do this I know the chance of data loss will increase . but will putting 2 ssd's in a raid 0 configuration also shorten the life span of my solid state drives ? and say if one of the solid state drives dies and no longer works because of a physical issue does this mean both solid state drives will no longer work ?

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
It shouldn't really shorten the lifespan.

If one drive dies, the stripe will cease to function, but the other drive won't automatically die as well.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
you are gonna put 2 different SSD's together and try to raid 0 them together..... Thats a No No! Even though there both the same size (in terms of capacity) you really should only pair identical drives together.

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
No, drive life isn't shortened by putting them in a raid. Your data may be twice as likely to be lost though.

With SSDs, I don't even see the point of raiding them. The performance gains will be minimal to an end user unless you're measurebating...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Make sure your mobo supports trim for the ssds.
Nvm Z97... pretty sure it does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts