Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to spend an amount in the range of ~$400 (no more then $480). So far the best thing I've found is this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=O261-6296 with great capacity price and speed. Please let me know if you guys have some better suggestions I DON'T HAVE SATA 3. Let me know if this is a decent speed/sized hard drive for the money as well please.

As far as installation goes, I don't want to waste my money if this won't work and cause problems. I run my PC on an oem copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and I have the recovery disk.

1.Would I have any issues reinstalling it on the new hard drive?
2. Would imaging software be better or worse for me?
3. Let me know if there's any other causes or concerns to consider.

That's all I can think of right now, let me know if you guys think this is a good idea. I'm doing this because I want to get back to making movies (for entertainment), and I want to encode them in full 1080p, and I want to eliminate bottlenecks. (Maybe ram should be upgraded instead?). Either way plz lemme know what you guys think. If ram would be a smart upgrade, then so far I've seen this as a good choice: ]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16820145326] at $344.99 and only using 3 sticks so I don't overstress my cpu and maintain the triple channel setup!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
To be completely honest, buying an SSD now isn't the best choice. They will just get faster and faster and more affordable.

I know you can say that for anything but ssds are going down quick. Also they can die pretty quick if your going to be doing alot of hd video work.

For hd videos I'd reccomend geting somthing like two velicraptors in a raid 0 and use your 2tb for storage.

If your going to upgrade your ram I would advise you get ram similar to your current ram to avoid problems.

Good luck.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRPace View Post
To be completely honest, buying an SSD now isn't the best choice. They will just get faster and faster and more affordable.

I know you can say that for anything but ssds are going down quick. Also they can die pretty quick if your going to be doing alot of hd video work.

For hd videos I'd reccomend geting somthing like two velicraptors in a raid 0 and use your 2tb for storage.

If your going to upgrade your ram I would advise you get ram similar to your current ram to avoid problems.

Good luck.
i would just replace my kit since i have 3 2gb sticks and i don't want to have 6 sticks vs a 4x3gb setup. do u think the ram upgrade will make a difference? (more than an ssd or velociraptors)
lets say i want to set two of these bad boys up in raid 0 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136322 would i have to wipe out my OS, or could i set these up as blank drives running together seperate from my OS drive? and by the way, from the looks of it the value KILLS ssd. WHEN IN RAID 0 ITS 600GB OF SPACE WITH 200MB/S READ/WRITE!?!? man solid state seems like a scam now rofl, (imagine u'll have just under 1tb and around 300mb/s read/write if u raid a third drive, unreal lol). plz lemme know if they can be raided separately from my main OS drive, if so i'll be picking up 2!!!.

i also have the option of wiping out my current hard drive-and getting 4 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145298 which are the same specs as mine. and then running all 4 together at raid 0 with some money left in my pocket (7200rpmX4=28800rpm which is even higher then 2 velociraptors (can't afford 3) plus the 32mb cache instead of 16). and on top of that it would be 8 TERABYTES!! damn now that is video encoding heaven rofl

HOLD THE PHONE STOP THE PRESSES, I can get 4 yes you heard it here, first 4 from this guy!!: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622 giving me a 5 WAY RAID 0 ARRAY of 7200 rpm 32mb cache hdds with 2TB capacity EACH. with a grand total of 10TB space and 36000RPM to boot (roughly 360mbs read/write). who says you can't have your cake and eat it too

hows this for an idea!?!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Well as I read in your last post about the velociraptors, if you upgrade go ssd not velociraptors. Not really worth it for the velociraptors IMO. Anyways how many games do you have installed at once and do you have a lot of programs you need. Also do you have an external of a hdd for storage?

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
I reccomend the Crucial C300. Even though its SATA6 I am running it on SATA3 and it is silly fast. 350MB/s~ read is one of, if not the fastest available at the moment?

I pull 540MB/s from my two in RAID 0.

Unfortunately the Marvel controlled SATA6 ports on all boards at the moment are RUBBISH.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
get the Massive Agility 2

240GB SSDs are awesome

but really it will be the upgrade you will "notice" and "feel" the most

But you don't probably need one that big, you could save some cash and get a 60 or 120 GB one and then a few large storage drives...

up to you... but SSD will own any other upgrade as far as noticed performance increase...

The 4 drive RAID idea is crazy in my book, since it's not faster in random read/writes...
And it's 4 times as likely to fail as a single drive, so not as safe for that much data...

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts