Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about possibly switching out my dell mobo for a new one so I can OC but a friend was telling me I would need alot more fans for a liquid cooling system.

Any help is appreciated

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkZero

I'm thinking about possibly switching out my dell mobo for a new one so I can OC but a friend was telling me I would need alot more fans for a liquid cooling system.

Any help is appreciated

ur gonna liquid cool a dell? not nessecary. is it socket 478 or 775? you can just replace the h/s and put a high cfm fan on it

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Any help is appreciated

4 fans for a liquid cooling, 2 for the radiator, and 2 for the case

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Its a socket 478 P4 2.4 ghz

you also might wat to check and see if the CPU and HS are bonded with ceramic paste, if that is the case you cannot reuse the CPU

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you're saying that if I was to get a new mobo to oc it, then I would just need to get a better fan and a better h/s?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

So you're saying that if I was to get a new mobo to oc it, then I would just need to get a better fan and a better h/s?

that is the EZ way to do it.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

yes. thats exactly right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys know of any good mobos around $100 and any good h/s and cfm fans for a reasonable price (I don't know how much they cost)?

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
hate to double post but that is a good mobo. i know a few pp with it and i was gonna get it when i was an intel guy

what size fan though?

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

Do you guys know of any good mobos around $100 and any good h/s and cfm fans for a reasonable price (I don't know how much they cost)?

Brother!!! You are my past...let us set you straight! I just trashed my 4550 and my budget was about $100 for my mobo and I have a 2.4. Foloowing recommendations from here, I opted for the Abit AI7 and so far not issues. IF you can part with more, go with DFI. Things you need to know:

1. Dell cases are proprietary and my not fit a diff. mobo so plan on a case.
2. Cases can be had for cheap...$40-50 if you aren't picky about tool-less and needing to maybe add some fans (they are cheap)
3. Your Dell PSU is proprietary, may be low wattage and may not work with a new mobo...but that $45 case will come with one...but it's cheap and will need to be replaced if you want to get serious about OC'ing

I know there is other stuff...it will come to me...

Oh yeah, Dell HS is proprietary so the standard P4 HS mounting hardware/brackets aren't there AND you won't be able to use it on your new mobo without changing out stuff...but that's ok, you don't want that piece of [email protected] anyway.

Got all that? Yeah, it added up fast for me too...all because of a new graphics card.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already got a new psu for my new graphics card. It was pretty stupid what dell did, but we had to get some tin cutters and make the hole for the plug bigger so the switch would fit. Works great though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I already have a video card, i just got it, its a Visiontek Xtasy 9600XT 256 mb AGP, and don't tell me I should have gotten the 9600 SE and OCed it, because I bought the card before I found this site.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

I already have a video card, i just got it, its a Visiontek Xtasy 9600XT 256 mb AGP, and don't tell me I should have gotten the 9600 SE and OCed it, because I bought the card before I found this site.

i wouldnt say that anyway but that just leaves mobo and case?

EDIT******
and h/s f

wat do u think about this case or this one

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
all that stuff looks great, thanks for the help. I'll just have to get some money and see if I can even take the processor out

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
if the cpu is glued to the HS thats alright just keep it attached.. what does it matter? screw a fast fan into the heatsink and most dells have a vent running to the back of the case with an exhaust fan, perfect

buy an asus p4p800 <-- good mobo, easy to OC, all the goodies

i have a p5p800 cause im socket 775, i love this mobo, i heard the dfi's are really good aswell though

ps, get some new ram aswell, some pc3200, cause dell probly gave u pc2700 garbage

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
i upgraded from a dell aswell

it was a p3 800mhz :s

i bought a new mobo, gfx card, hdd, ram, cpu and a psu and case/2 fans

it adds up quick man

i only spent 130 bucks on my video card and i spent almost 900 bucks

luckily i already had a 12x lg dvd burner and a 52x cd burner to bring from my dell

but everything else i scrapped, except my wireless psi card and my firewire card

1 - 20 of 23 Posts