Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Refrence design 6970s so the watercoolers can be found for cheep. actually there is one on ocn marketplace for $45 dollars, so I would need about $90 dollars for the heat-killer blocks plus a radiator and lines.rez, fittings and so forth.......Iam wondering if i was to run 3 6970s watercool them and use em for gaming? Or just save-up for a pair or tri 7970s and waercool them? What temps can u get under load if you are using water??? Right now during gaming iam at 60c under full load, also keep in mind it will take me ALOT longer to get 3 7970s then just add 1 more 6970,tri 6970s would be good for eyefinity beacuse I mainly play flight-sims. Iam also curious how long these 2 gb would last me? Maybe another year if iam lucky? Ive just upgraded my cpu to the 8350 and also the mother board Formula- z , I ran eyefinity just fine on my fx 6100/ m5a97 mobo, how does this set-up look to you??? Thank you and sorry for all the questions:thumb:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
All GPUs when watercooled run really cool, when I had a 6950 it was running at 40°C max and that was under 1.3v.

As for getting tri-crossfire, avoid that it is a waste of money, it will cause you a lot of headaches trying to get it to run smooth. Neither Nvidia or AMD can do 3 cards right yet.

You have a choice you can watercool both 6970s or buy two 7970s. Personally l would get 7970s as AMD are fixing the crossfire frame latency problems, l dunno if that has been fixed on the 6000 series.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mam- That is my original plan iam actually saving up now for a pair of the 7970s ( they are faster ) then my 6970s but the thing that gets my hyped is now the parts are really cheep for the 6000 series so I might as well water-cool these suckers and worse case senario we can use them in a back-up rig~ I like those temps you mentioned under load 40c is Awsome! Not to mention it will look better, be alot less noise,take up less space as well. I bought this motherboard to try Tri- Crossfire, if they are all watercooled I thini i can get them to fit, but with the stock heatsinks good luck fitting 3 cards lol! ............... Anyway I just wanted to get your guys opinion, i already have headaches with 2 card cf so 3 i can only imagine, but imight just try it just for the hell of it, 1 6970 will cost me $150 dollars plus the Heatkiller block= $200 not that bad

·
Registered
541 Posts
Howdy!
I have 2 7950's w/ 1250/1550 @1.29-never see more than 40c
I had 6950's,about the same-idles 26-30 depending on ambient ,37-41 after hours of BF3
Enjoy & good luck w/three!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howdy! That sounds like a nice combo, and thank you I look forward to setting-up my 1st custom loop~

Last night I found a closed-loop watercooler Kraken or something like that, its supposed to be 1 of the best cl coolers on the market, I was browsing Micro center they dont seem to sell just Radiators alone, maybe ill have to check out frozen pc see what I can find there. They did have lines and fittings and so forth, mainly closed loop coolers~!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts