or
rather get a amd phenom ii x4 955 with gtx 480 or a SLI of gtx 460 1gb

i know that there is a difference of price but if you had to chose

assuming playing battlefield bc2 or assassin creed 2 or dirt 2

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Phenom iix4 with 955 with a 480, Not a Fan of SLI lol

is this a general question or are u looking at building a system for a mate?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was just asking for my friend that where close to buy one , once he'll get hes full budget ill ask the community again

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know that gtx sli beat gtx 480 but use more power , but less temperature and less price
perform better and full surrond ability

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
true a 460 sli setup beats a 480.. but u can't add a third card... so u kinda can't get any more performance down the track......

Where with a 480..... u can have 2-4 in SLI.....

·
Banned
2,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgoes2001 View Post
true a 460 sli setup beats a 480.. but u can't add a third card... so u kinda can't get any more performance down the track......

Where with a 480..... u can have 2-4 in SLI.....
480's in SLI is overkill for 99% of users. Plus all that heat and power consumption is a joke.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
480's in SLI is overkill for 99% of users. Plus all that heat and power consumption is a joke.
Funny how people still go on about heat and power. I really think people that have gtx480's really dont worry about all that. Also when people say 2 gtx460's beat a single gtx480, thats obvious 2 cards vs 1 ( I know the price difference etc) just saying people always say that.

It it was me I would buy the most expenisive single card I could afford at the time. That gives you room to grown later down the line.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Well that's your opinion because you seem to hate on the GF100's at every chance you get. Sounds a bit jealous to me........

And as a 480 owner, the temps are no where near as bad as what people like YOU seem to try and make them out to be.

@OP
If you can afford the best single GPU card on the market, why wouldn't you get it?

I mean, yea, you could get 2 x 460's and put them in SLI, but after that, its the end of the road. You have to get new cards to go any further. Where as you can grab a 480 now, performance is still fantastic and then in another 6 months or 12 months you can pick another one/two/three up cheap and you have poop-loads more power than 460's in SLI and you are better future proofed.

460's in SLI are great if you are on a budget but if you can afford the 480 then get it! It's the most powerful single GPU on the market, it is no where near as bad as what people like Godfather try and make them out to be and looking towards the future you have much better future proof-ability(?) with 480's.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well your a bit off road, but it seems that its better to get a better gpu then a better cpu right?

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyronn
View Post

Funny how people still go on about heat and power. I really think people that have gtx480's really dont worry about all that. Also when people say 2 gtx460's beat a single gtx480, thats obvious 2 cards vs 1 ( I know the price difference etc) just saying people always say that.

It it was me I would buy the most expenisive single card I could afford at the time. That gives you room to grown later down the line.

And that 2x GTX 460's consume MORE power than a single GTX 480!

@Thread

i7-860 and GTX 470's in SLI. =)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adgame View Post
well your a bit off road, but it seems that its better to get a better gpu then a better cpu right?
Its a balancing act really. GPU's in general are a lot more powerful than CPU's. So if you want a high-end GPU (ie. GTX470/480 HD5870/HD5970) then you also need a CPU that won't bottleneck their performance.

So you need to find the right balance between CPU power and GPU power. Otherwise, you are going to have a GPU being held back because your CPU isn't adequate.

For 480's, you really need to look at an i7 or AMD 6-core CPU to not bottleneck that card (Particularly if you go SLI). However you could get away with a Phenom X4 955/965 if you have a mild OC.

So basically, you just need to find the right balance for your budget.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
All three CPU's will really not do anything to bottleneck your performance, so long as you don't get 3 480's OC'ed to 1GHz core. They are all good choices for gaming and can OC well.

The Phenom and i5 will surely meet your needs if it's only for gaming. If it's for largely multi-threaded apps, however, the obvious choice is the i7.

For the GPU's, I would agree with the GTX 480. People (especially fanboys and jealous types) really over exaggerate the heat and power draw of the 480.

The price point will make a lot of people cringe, and as another poster said, it is overkill for a lot of people, but if you can utilize that performance, it is the best choice. By the time 480's in SLI are needed for a game, however, I think we'll be well beyond our current hardware...

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts
that AMD 965 will bottleneck your GTX 480 OR GTX 460 SLI
try to wait until the next generation of core processors come out. then this gen prices will go down.
i7 950 is less than $300 already. so get that if u can
what's the point for 930?

anyway, if you HAVE to upgrade now, then i recommend i7 + GTX 460
you want your main components (CPU+RAM+MOBO) to last as long as possible, since they are the most expensive and time consuming to upgrade.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts