Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I unfortunately have to share my internet with other people who are constantly loading videos/images/music... and I can definitely feel the impact on my end. I have access to the router, which is a Cisco EPC3925 DOCSIS 3.0 gateway, and sadly it does not support QoS rules.

So, is that it? If the router has no QoS support there's nothing I can do? I'm stuck like this for years with no solution?
sadsmiley.gif

I want to believe that there's an alternative... maybe someone knows of something that works. I'm all ears...
rolleyes.gif

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
The best strategy would be to request that they limit their bulk downloading to off-peak hours.

Failing that as a reliable option, you could get some additional hardware to limit speed. It's not going to be super cheap. If you're going to be there for years and you pay the bill in full (with them chipping in some) then I would setup a cheap PFSense box and get a better wireless router. Most of my thoughts about the wireless capabilities of the cable company modem/router/gateway/firewall/crap are generally not printable and involve many four letter words.

If you've got a budget of around $250, we can make this problem go away. If not, then it's probably your best bet to negotiate with the other parties about laying off the downloading.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

The best strategy would be to request that they limit their bulk downloading to off-peak hours.

Failing that as a reliable option, you could get some additional hardware to limit speed. It's not going to be super cheap. If you're going to be there for years and you pay the bill in full (with them chipping in some) then I would setup a cheap PFSense box and get a better wireless router. Most of my thoughts about the wireless capabilities of the cable company modem/router/gateway/firewall/crap are generally not printable and involve many four letter words.

If you've got a budget of around $250, we can make this problem go away. If not, then it's probably your best bet to negotiate with the other parties about laying off the downloading.
there are SOHO routers much cheaper than that which can manage QOS.

also.. there are other ways
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We don't use wireless. The way I have it set up is like this: I connect directly to the gateway, they connect to an old switch in another room which connects to the network through a powerline adapter.

Not sure if that changes anything.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trull View Post

We don't use wireless. The way I have it set up is like this: I connect directly to the gateway, they connect to an old switch in another room which connects to the network through a powerline adapter.

Not sure if that changes anything.
the main thing is .. can you afford to swap any kit and what would be your budget?

also out of interest can you setup individual VLAN's on the router or switch? if so there might be a way

also isnt this routers primary function as a voice gateway?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts