Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For just gaming on your PC no like folding or anything just game and internet and entertainment uses do you like Ati for nvidia better?

Now i am aware i have set myself up for a flame war of a thread but i just thought it might be interesting.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
ATI is better performance for the price, especially since you don't plan to fold.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you're not into folding, then you may want to save money by forgoing those features which come standard on NVIDIA cards. Right now, the 5970 is obviously the best card for gaming, and I don't think that it can fold...

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonSlice View Post
ATI is better performance for the price, especially since you don't plan to fold.
yeah lol i tried to fold and i was like what is the point of this??

I think Ati makes the best cards for gaming not only for the price but there cards do the best when you like to have loads of AA on demanding games even on crysis.

when that new client comes outl ike GPU3 or whatever its called for ati cards. i think ati will be really good at folding also.

·
Registered
815 Posts
well how is your 2 x 5870's doing, you will probably go fermi when it's released..lol

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
Whichever offers better performance for my budget at the time. I don't fold, nor do I intend to, so it's not a deciding factor for me.

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyponerve View Post
well how is your 2 x 5870's doing, you will probably go fermi when it's released..lol
how many times do i have to say this. my sig rig is what im going to upgrade to in 2010. I have core i7 already but im upgrading to watercooling and 2 5870 or 5890 and a 9800GX2 for physx and or maybe folding if i ever want to do it again or a GTS250 for just physx. Im also not the only one on here who has a speculated 2010 rig.

·
Banned
5,782 Posts
ATI, absolutely for bang-for-buck gaming performance. Tell me what kind of Nvidia card you can get for $190? I only see GTX 260s on Newegg.com, which are NO match for 4890s.

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrodisiac View Post
ATI, absolutely for bang-for-buck gaming performance. Tell me what kind of Nvidia card you can get for $190? I only see GTX 260s on Newegg.com, which are NO match for 4890s.
yeah exactly!!! nvidia is like in a hole rightn ow there prices are so high but ati cards are raping them

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehmaggot View Post
Whichever offers better performance for my budget at the time. I don't fold, nor do I intend to, so it's not a deciding factor for me.
I agree with this. If Nvidia had a competitive DX11 card at the time I was building my PC, I would probably have a different GPU right now.

·
AMD Gamer
608 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrodisiac View Post
^this, I just switched from nvidia to ati

·
Banned
2,220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mocha989 View Post
how many times do i have to say this. my sig rig is what im going to upgrade to in 2010. I have core i7 already but im upgrading to watercooling and 2 5870 or 5890 and a 9800GX2 for physx and or maybe folding if i ever want to do it again or a GTS250 for just physx. Im also not the only one on here who has a speculated 2010 rig.
How about you say parts with an "*" before the name of the parts that are not there yet?

Doesn't that make more sense?

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loosenut View Post
^this, I just switched from nvidia to ati
and how was that switch??

Quote:
How about you say parts with an "*" before the name are not there yet?

Doesn't that make more sense?
OR you could just read the title

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post
I agree with this. If Nvidia had a competitive DX11 card at the time I was building my PC, I would probably have a different GPU right now.
I've considered selling both of my GPUs now and sitting on the cash to see what nVidia comes up with, but it's not quite worth the burden of being on a 1950XTX for a month or more. nVidia doesn't have anything that really competes for the price, at the moment.

I do prefer nVidia's drivers for one tweak alone. "Maximum pre-rendered frames" fixes my Vsync mouse delay, while ATi's equivalent "Fliq Queue Size" doesn't do diddly squat whenever I change it.

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehmaggot View Post
I've considered selling both of my GPUs now and sitting on the cash to see what nVidia comes up with, but it's not quite worth the burden of being on a 1950XTX for a month or more. nVidia doesn't have anything that really competes for the price, at the moment.

I do prefer nVidia's drivers for one tweak alone. "Maximum pre-rendered frames" fixes my Vsync mouse delay, while ATi's equivalent "Fliq Queue Size" doesn't do diddly squat whenever I change it.
no matter what i try to do my 260s give me such bad screen tearing! when i had 1 card it didnt get any but with 2 my god!

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mocha989 View Post
no matter what i try to do my 260s give me such bad screen tearing! when i had 1 card it didnt get any but with 2 my god!
That's because you're getting a lot more frames per second. The tearing you see is two images displayed as one, because your GPU(s) is/are outputting more frames than your monitor displays. Enabling VSync will fix it, but as I said before, it can introduce heavy mouse delay.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
For just gaming either would do perfectly fine. Just depends on when you ask currently ATI is the best for gaming, but few months down the road Nvidia could be on top. Honestly going best bang per buck is always the way to go from what I've learned by buying my current setup.

·
Melted Cheese
4,182 Posts
I got an eVGA GTX 275 brand new for 260 CAD and after over clocking it I beat out my friend's 5850 he got got 330 bucks CAD.

Hands down for me nVidia and has been for a while. Last ATi card I had was an X1900 XTX.

Also I just built my buddy a computer and we got an eVGA GTX 260 supersuper clocked for cheaper than a 4890 and all his benches point to it beating out the 4890 across the board. Considering he would never do any over clocking on his own this was the best thing for him.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts