Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
SLI requires two of the same cards. FYI, Crossfire allows you to use two different cards within certain limitations.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by m|dg3t

Dual 6600GT's can probably outdo a 7800GT in some respects.

While that may be true....your 6600's would be maxed out and have no way to upgrade. A single 7800gt now is pretty close and will let you add another later.

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
I went from two 6600GT's to one 7800GT about 2 weeks ago. The 7800Gt is slightly better in all benches.

AQ37515679972

2001SE2273226877

oldnew

This at stock were the benches. The 6600GT's come pretty darn close to my 7800GT for performance. The upgrade path is a good point though. I went with a 7800GT (and moved my 6600GT's down to my second system) with the intention of getting a second 7800 very soon (I miss my SLI!)/ If you are low on cash, two 6600GT's will give you very respectable performance. Long term, a 7800GT would be a better investment .

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Exactly my problem. I fortunately have a second system with a PCI-E motherboard because I was able to sell my second systems' AGP based board first. If you can't find a buyer for the 6600, it'll gather dust until it has no value. As you can see from the benches I posted, twin 6600GT's are pretty close to a 7800GT and you will save a couple of hundred dollars that could be spent on any number of things like more ram, better cpu etc. If I didn't have a second rig to put the 6600GT's in and was able to sell my second system board I would still have my 6600GT's in my system.

Go with a second 6600GT. In your case its money well spent.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Im thinking about going with another 6800GS, does anyone have SLI 6800GS and If so do they perform Awesome?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
actually you don't have to have the same exact cards to run SLI. they just have to have the same gpu. they can have different speeds and different amounts of RAM. they can also be from different manufactures. You can even run SLI w/o the SLI bridge, although I don't think it performs as well.

2 6600Gt's perform quite nicely. I have an extra one if you want. 125.USD +shipping. comes in the retail MSI box w/ all the original accessories.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Fire
From what i have seen the gs's perform just about the standard, and the gt above that.

So are 2 GS's better than 1 7800GT? I would expect it to

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
actually you don't have to have the same exact cards to run SLI. they just have to have the same gpu. they can have different speeds and different amounts of RAM. they can also be from different manufactures. You can even run SLI w/o the SLI bridge, although I don't think it performs as well.

2 6600Gt's perform quite nicely. I have an extra one if you want. 125.USD +shipping. comes in the retail MSI box w/ all the original accessories.
Correct.

Up until about a month or a month and a half ago this wasn't the case. You would have to find two of the exact same card to be able to run SLI. nVidia has since released updated drivers which allows you to mix and match cards but I think the core has to be at least the same (not to sure of this).

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yeah thats what I hear same core dif brand...

SO i could go with like a EVGA 6800 GS and a Asus 6800 GS (just for example)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2

As of now, I am ok, but maybe in the future (about your GT). What else can I run with my SLI Geforce 6600GT?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by m|dg3t
As of now, I am ok, but maybe in the future (about your GT). What else can I run with my SLI Geforce 6600GT?

just another 6600GT. they can be different brands with different clock speeds and one can be the 128mb version and the other can be a 256mb version. however, both cards will run at the lower clock speeds and the lesser amount of memory. the main thing to look at is the gpu. any 6600GT can be used with any other 6600GT. any 6800 can be used w/ another 6800 (but not a 6800GT, GS, ultra, or LE) hope this clears things up for you.

and on another note... 2 6600GT's in SLI will perform similarly to a single 7800GT I upgraded from my 2 MSI 6600GT's to my evga 7800GT and only noticed a slight increase in performance. there are pros and cons to each upgrade option.

upgrading to a single 6800 or 7800 series card will yeild similar results to SLI 6600GT's and give you more future upgrade options.

adding a second 6600GT will probably be your most cost effective upgrade. it will be the cheapest upgrade option and give you a pretty decent performance boost.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I benched 81759 in aqua with two 6600gt(sli)I dont know what a 7800 will do

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
something else to note, your 2 6600gt's may overclock really really well, and outperform that single 7800gt, so yeah.. i'd recommend getting a second 6600gt of the same make/model (for stability and performance) if you are pushed for cash, if not get that single 7800gt.. and go from there... try and sell that old one on ebay or something get $100 for it or something

1 - 20 of 26 Posts