Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Google today announced that it was launching the fiber-optic broadband service in the US calling it “The Google Fiberâ€. The service will be offered for trail run to the residents of Stanford, California. Google also said that it signed an agreement with Stanford University which will enable it to build the high speed fiber optic network to the university’s residential subdivision which will allow about 850 homes housing staff and students to get connected.

Once connected residents are to get a blazing 1Gb per second high speed Internet which is 100 times faster than an average Internet connection. Google said that once the field trial goes well, Google will roll out the service and expand it. Our sources had said that Salt Lake City, Utah was one of the hot spots where Google will be introducing the service. This will let Google target a larger audience in a big city.
http://itgrunts.com/2010/10/21/googl...ernet-is-here/

I can finally accomplish my dream of downloading every Steam game at once!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Google is expanding, and it cannot be stopped!

EDIT: Run for the hills!

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,842 Posts
iiii... CAN DOWNLOAD anything I want, whenever I want, within minutes
Time to start dling huge games all at once
in 10 minutes

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
Mmmm mmmmm sweet, sweet Google Fiber

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Title is misleading. 1 GB =/= 1Gb

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Wonder how much this will cost.

Also this:

Quote:
Sceptics are cautious about signing up for the service. Google has been in news for some wrong reasons lately and some are worried if letting Google take over every aspect of the Internet is a bad idea.
Google Fiber is said to be available in early 2011. 1Gbps internet vs Privacy? I like my Privacy better

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by assaulth3ro911 View Post
iiii... CAN DOWNLOAD anything I want, whenever I want, within minutes
Time to start dling huge games all at once
in 10 minutes

You'll still be limited in speed by the sever your downloading form. P2P Will be awesome though. I got 30Mb connection about a year ago and it only maxes out with torrents and a few websites. YouTube still lags like crazy!

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pillz Here View Post
Wonder how much this will cost.

Also this:
A better question is what the regional availability is. In NowHere, there isn't ANY fiber, of any speed, within 300+ miles.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I knew I should have went to Stanford! Damnit!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, well, it'll reach me eventually. This is exciting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post
Also, this.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
A better question is what the regional availability is. In NowHere, there isn't ANY fiber, of any speed, within 300+ miles.
The majority of people won't be able to afford it anyway. So it probably doesn't even matter.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post
The fumbling of the use of data measurement standards annoys me too.

I would like to have a 1Gb/S internet connection from Google minus the complete monitoring of all data flowing through said data pipe.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pillz Here View Post
The majority of people won't be able to afford it anyway. So it probably doesn't even matter.
We'll see. FiOS is about the same price and FAR faster than any of the DSL services adverted around here. Of course, FiOS isn't to be had for love or money out here.

BTW- NowHere is the state capitol.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Very nice, I hope they roll it out even more in the coming years. Im dieing for fiber, FIOS is in 2/3 of my city, of course they arent in my area of the city.
Still on cable, atleast.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.