Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Civilization V: Gods and Kings is almost here, and it brings back a couple of key franchise systems back to Civilization V. Most notable is religion, which fans have been clamoring for ever since V released. The other major system that's back is espionage, wherein you can send spies out to cities to combat enemy agents and gather intelligence. Neither of them ties directly to a new victory condition, but both have pronounced effects on the way you and your opponents play a game of Civilization.
Quote:
Excited to build up your own religion and spread it to your enemies? You can try it for yourself when Civilization V: Gods and Kings releases on June 19th for North America, and the 22nd internationally.
The Basics of Faith and Spying
Quote:
Imagine a world divided into empires obsessed with steam power. In this world Empires ruthlessly undercut and smash their peers into oblivion - not in the name of god, but because such actions are considered valid for the sake of "progress."
Into the Smokey Skies

Some more info with respect to the announcement (OCN thread in here)
It looks very promising, especially the Pantheons and Beliefs addition. Looking forward to get this
biggrin.gif

·
Reject the system
1,555 Posts
Oh man. Thanks for the link. Love civ so much!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have about 200 hours into Civ V and no clue how many I put into Civ IV. This expansion seems to add to the newer game what the older had, with some tweaks. Going to prepurchase ASAP on Steam.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some more news are available. One of the scenarios available in the expansion is Empires of the Smokey Skies and it will bring the player to a steampunk world, with some brand new units and a complete fictional Civilopedia.
The scenario will feature new winning condition: there are five titles (i.e., highest production, highest number of wonders) and the first player who simultaneously holds at least three titles for three rounds will win.

This seems a very nice addition, to spice up the gameplay with something a bit different.

First message updated with the new source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been lurking here for a while but when I saw this I just had to post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmas View Post

Some more news are available. One of the scenarios available in the expansion is Empires of the Smokey Skies and it will bring the player to a steampunk world, with some brand new units and a complete fictional Civilopedia.
First message updated with the new source.
Finally! More fantasy civ!
thumb.gif
The fantasy based civ games (Test of Time, Alpha Centauri), have always been the most fun to play in my opinion. Not sure how I feel about the choice of a steampunk theme, but it certainly has potential to be great. Might even be willing to pay full price for this.

Also hello all!
tongue.gif

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wecome on OCN, imoscardtocom, it's good to have another civ fan around here.

The steampunk thems seems very promising to me. I am looking forward to building sky fortresses and land leviathans.
drool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoscardotcom View Post

Might even be willing to pay full price for this.
I couldn't resist and preordered it a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the European release is now set for the 30th of June
sadsmiley.gif

·
Banned
3,639 Posts
TBH I'm surprised their actually releasing a real expansion. I thought they were just going to continue milking the game with endless DLC.

I won't be buying this though, I'm perfectly happy with the game as it stands now.

If I buy anything it will be this:

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
This all should have been in the original game. Never been so disappointed with a $50 purchase than Civ 5. This coming from someone who owns every single Sid Meier game and has probably dropped thousands of hours into them.

With Civ 5 their marketing plan was obvious release a half ass game for $50, pepper in DLC of other civs, maps, and scenarios that should have been in the original game for $5 a pop, then release an expansion that finally brings the game up to what it should have been at release for another $30.

Good job at making money with the new model Sid, I hope you burn in hell.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ant View Post

If I buy anything it will be this:
Has Elemental improved since release? I was looking forward to it but I heard of a lot of game breaking issues at launch that put me off it. Supposedly they've been patching but I haven't kept up to know whether or not I should buy it yet.
tongue.gif

·
Old and Crochity
5,266 Posts
I won't buy this until its 5 bucks on steam on sale. In my opinion the game should have come with the main features this "expansion" is providing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pre-purchased. Love Civ. I'm glad this is releasing in June. Civ V destroyed my GPA when it came out September 2010.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Looks interesting!
I've played every Civ since the original for hours on end, however Civ5 has been a bit of a let down. The game-play just seems more repetitive then previous versions.
I'll definitely give this a go.

·
Banned
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeio View Post

Has Elemental improved since release? I was looking forward to it but I heard of a lot of game breaking issues at launch that put me off it. Supposedly they've been patching but I haven't kept up to know whether or not I should buy it yet.
tongue.gif
The game I linked has not been released yet... But yes, they have fixed the issues with some pretty big patches.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax View Post

This all should have been in the original game. Never been so disappointed with a $50 purchase than Civ 5. This coming from someone who owns every single Sid Meier game and has probably dropped thousands of hours into them.
With Civ 5 their marketing plan was obvious release a half ass game for $50, pepper in DLC of other civs, maps, and scenarios that should have been in the original game for $5 a pop, then release an expansion that finally brings the game up to what it should have been at release for another $30.
Good job at making money with the new model Sid, I hope you burn in hell.
Have you looked at the new religins system? This is all completely new, and it is genius I must say. They made the game of the year!
thumb.gif
Try it, you will not regret it! They have taken civ up to a new height! I Just played 1 game now and I am mind blowned

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
The new expansion is excellent, will never go back to vanilla Civ 5.

@Segovax, i dont think vanilla civ 5 was "bad" on purpose, i think it was just trying to appeal to a major audience, and i also think it succeeded on that aspect. Maybe they simplified some aspects of Civ on their way, but i dont think it was just to milk us, specially since this expansion came 2 years after the release of the game, if the base game flopped there would be no expansion pack to speak off, and no milking.

Anyhow, i do think that Civ 5 with this expansion pack is what Civ 5 should have been from the get go, right now is much more engaging than civ 5 ever was.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Civ 5 has defently gone past civ 4, even whit mods, now. Everyone should defently invest in the expansion, you will not regret it
cheers.gif

1 - 20 of 37 Posts