Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
Of course it beats the PSP, amazing! Can't wait.

Then again, I don't know why they don't have a 1GHz SnapDragon in there, it isn't too big, and it runs a phone's battery life, might as well run this, or maybe an 800MHz, still powerful!

·
Registered
974 Posts
What happened to tegra? Also, im suprised about having 2 lower clocked cpus rather than one higher clocked one, this surely would of helped battery life. Also, 64mb of ram?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
None of this is a surprise to me. It's about what I expected, though I wish they could have upped the RAM to 128 and vram to 64, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skaterboydale
View Post

What happened to tegra? Also, im suprised about having 2 lower clocked cpus rather than one higher clocked one, this surely would of helped battery life. Also, 64mb of ram?

the gamecube had 43mb of ram.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Also, the first DS had two cores, one for each screen, and it had good battery life.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieanotherday
View Post

why can't they just put a phone's hardware in it?

Because it's not a phone?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I'm not too impressed, i'd say satisfied.

The DS's 67MHz ARM9 (i know the DSi improved it but for the sake of argument, its all the dev's were allowed to work with; the GBA proc can't be used at the same time as well) Works fine for basic 3d. But take the new specs with a better architecture and dedicated GPU, we're looking at something 6-10 times as powerful operating at 2.73 times the pixels.

How much overhead the OS needs of that 64MB ram is unknown.

This should get decent battery life but i don't expect the browser to be that fun to use.

Kind-of-want

·
Registered
974 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK
View Post

Also, the first DS had two cores, one for each screen, and it had good battery life.

Didn't think about the two screens

Quote:

the gamecube had 43mb of ram.

My phone has 512mb
Surely some extra RAM would help with the internet browsing, and possibly allowing multitasking?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skaterboydale
View Post

My phone has 512mb
Surely some extra RAM would help with the internet browsing, and possibly allowing multitasking?

There is a difference between a phone and a game console. Phones need to do many things at once. A game console's main focus is playing games (even if Sony wants to tell you different). And you can surf the net on 64MBs of RAM. I know, as I had done it for years.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK
View Post

None of this is a surprise to me. It's about what I expected, though I wish they could have upped the RAM to 128 and vram to 64, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Don't you think it would have surpassed the X360 graphics by then?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
No, PSP is one 333 mhz and is clocked by default at 222 (according to wikipeda).

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by assaulth3ro911
View Post

Don't you think it would have surpassed the X360 graphics by then?

No? Seeing as RAM doesn't define graphic abilities.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Still people here have no clue on hardware development. First of all if you need to game u need a good battery life to play. If there is 1gh cpu in there, the cpu is going to be expensive and battery powering it up for 3-5 hours is going to be really expensive. If u game Angry Birds in Google nexus one the battery lasts less that 45-mins. They have clocked properly in such a way that there no bottlenecks in the overall performance and they have superior softwares to test it.And Nintendo never makes high end handhelds or console the console they made was Gamecube with pretty awesome components but screwed up the media as usual. If u really want a proper gaming handheld wait for PSP2.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
^Yeah, you're completely spot on with the battery life. Even on the iPhone, which has a much better battery life than the average smart phone, you get somewhere < 2 hours of battery life while playing 3d games. It's still way too early to judge, but I think the 3DS will be an awesome hand held. At first, I was afraid that the 3D would be too much of a gimmick and that the 3D would be the only really improvement, but it seems like the handheld is improved in practically every way possible.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meetajhu
View Post

If u really want a proper gaming handheld wait for PSP2.

Unless the PSP2 has glasses-free 3D, then I couldn't care one whit about whether it is "proper" (whatever that means) or has higher hardware specs than the 3DS. That's the same comparison as a PS3 to a Wii...yes the PS3 kills the Wii on paper, but that misses the point of the Wii completely.

The 3DS is going to change handheld gaming the same way the Wii did for consoles...with what all Wii-haters call a "gimmick", but that their console just spent two years figuring out how to adequately copy. I have no doubt that PSP lovers will call the 3DS a gimmick, and then Sony will figure out how to include it in the PSP2 two years later. I should buy some stock in Nintendo, they're going to be raking in some serious coin once this thing drops.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
^ This. Also, I want to overclock one of these.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts