Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Nintendo announced the 2DS today, a new entry-level handheld system. The 2DS will be available for $129.99 on October 12th (the same day as Pokemon X and Y) and features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell seen on DS and 3DS models.

The 2DS is fully compatible with all 3DS and DS games but does not include the ability to display games in 3D. It still features all the functionality of 3DS (WiFi, local multiplayer, etc.) and can be put to sleep using a slider that replicates closing the clamshell on a standard 3DS. WiFi can still be turned off, though it's done via controls in the software rather than with a physical switch.

Source

Not sure what to think of this. It's a decent idea since a lot of people don't care about the 3D effect, but the design is terrible.

·
Audio Enthusiast
154 Posts
that's one ugly piece of hardware...at least they'll make a fortune on screen protectors!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Does it really matter how it looks...? It seems like that shape would be nice to hold in your hand. The issue I have with most hand-held units is that my hands cramp up holding such a small device. It appears to me that your thumbs would be in a more natural position on this device, which is cool.

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts
The only thing Nintendo could do to make me forgive that design would be if they filled up all that interior space with a giant friggin battery.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Ugly, but will still sell. Don't ever doubt Nintendo
biggrin.gif

I knew 2 people with Surface RTs, and both sold them just go get Animal crossing DS.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I feel like this is something I should buy and keep int he box for 10 years and then try to sell down the road. Makes me think of the Gameboy Advance Micro.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I actually wanted one that didn't have 3D junk (can't stand all the motion control, 3D and whatnot these days. I feel they still haven't come along far enough to make things immersive/compliment game play). The design of this...thing....however, is terrible.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorNine50 View Post

Does it really matter how it looks...? It seems like that shape would be nice to hold in your hand. The issue I have with most hand-held units is that my hands cramp up holding such a small device. It appears to me that your thumbs would be in a more natural position on this device, which is cool.
Except if you look at the purpose of these devices they are supposed to be portable. It doesn't look like this would fit a pocket, so the design sucks.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
I'd love to see the back on this thing, as well as some comparisons to the 3DS so we get a better sense of ergonomics.

Anyone who's got moderately sized hands & played on a 3DS for awhile knows about how bad the ergonomics are. Like wise, I feel like the price should be at the $99 mark if they really want to make it a solid option in terms of buying.

Since most folks will look at it, and probably ignore it. As it doesn't look like a Nintendo DS, and that image is about as iconic with todays parents & young folk as the Gameboy was back in my time.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I think I need to check my calender.... Nope its not April 1st.
doh.gif

1 - 20 of 225 Posts