Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Sources speaking to Kotaku report this so-called "PS4.5" could include a better graphics processor and support 4K resolution in games. Hence the hardware's other nickname, "PS4K." Such a power boost might also aid in displaying of PSVR games.
Source

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Kotaku have a lot more information in their article, you might want to make this a various thread.

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053
Quote:
Sony is currently planning a new version of the PS4 with increased graphical power and games running at 4K resolution, developer sources tell Kotaku.

We don't know whether current PS4 owners will be able to upgrade or if they'll have to buy an entirely new device to benefit from this power boost, but from what we hear, Sony has started briefing developers.

Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this 'PS4.5' will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this fall. It's unclear if 'PS4.5' is an official name or just a nickname that developers have been using. One developer jokingly called it the 'PS4K' while telling me about the device.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
Sony doesnt sit idle do they?
smile.gif

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Well, Sony *was* making all the right moves. Unless there's a heavily discounted step-up program, they'll just be alienating all 30 million+ current PS4 owners.

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
lachen.gif

What's the point of owning consoles again? Maybe a couple worthwhile exclusives a whole generation, but that doesn't seem to be enough to hold off the exodus to PC. By next year the consoles price/performance ratio will be gone, low-end Polaris and Pascal will see to that, it's obvious that the console manufacturers have to change the way console cycles work if they want to survive, MS is just merging their products together, but where does that leave Sony? Lol, PC PS app incoming.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

This would piss me off.
And nobody would care. Your console would still be exactly what you paid for so you have no reason to complain. If they stopped producing games for your console, absolutely, but neither Sony nor Microsoft would ever do that.
Ever since they moved to X86, and new nodes and architectures arrive that allow better hardware with same power and cooling criteria, one should expect this.

Stop living in the box of 2000 and think thats the only way. Reality doesnt work that way.
I`d like to see how far you would come with a complaint to Nvidia or AMD that the Polaris or Pascal GPU is faster than your 290X or GTX 980 and you are pissed of at them. You would get nowhere. Why? Because we are used to it and its a scenario that might happen to consoles as well

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Quote:

This would piss me off.
And nobody would care. Your console would still be exactly what you paid for so you have no reason to complain. If they stopped producing games for your console, absolutely, but neither Sony nor Microsoft would ever do that.
Ever since they moved to X86, and new nodes and architectures arrive that allow better hardware with same power and cooling criteria, one should expect this.

Stop living in the box of 2000 and think thats the only way. Reality doesnt work that way
Nice attitude. See the post above yours. People would care. If you want to be OK with it, by all means. It's your money.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
So basically a PS4 Slim, like they always do for every console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

What's the point of owning consoles again?
To play videogames I guess

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk View Post

So basically a PS4 Slim, like they always do for every console?

Quote:

What's the point of owning consoles again?
To play videogames I guess
Offering a slim version is entirely different than offering a more powerful version. You can still play games on the PS3 original and it will look the same as the PS3 slim.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Quote:

Nice attitude. See the post above yours. People would care. If you want to be OK with it, by all means. It's your money.
My attitude is more a reaction to the typical stupid human stuff:
That they think someone owe them something and that they are the center of the universe

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Quote:

My attitude is more a reaction to the typical stupid human stuff:
That they think someone owe them something.
Well I'm glad you can read everyone's mind.

·
User
2,334 Posts
Quote:

lachen.gif

What's the point of owning consoles again? Maybe a couple worthwhile exclusives a whole generation, but that doesn't seem to be enough to hold off the exodus to PC. By next year the consoles price/performance ratio will be gone, low-end Polaris and Pascal will see to that, it's obvious that the console manufacturers have to change the way console cycles work if they want to survive, MS is just merging their products together, but where does that leave Sony? Lol, PC PS app incoming.
Maybe to you it does not make any sense since you have enough money to build a PC,there are people who can't shell off 500 bucks-1K for a decent PC.

MS is resorting to foolproof cash since PS4 is rekting Xbox One sales-wise.

Also just lol at anyone who gets butthurt by Sony doing this. This will certainly cost more than a current PS4. Products devaluate with time.

No different than Galaxy S5 > Galaxy S5 Mini. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Most people who play videogames don't want to either build a PC, spend the amount of money it takes to buy a prebuipt capable of pkaying games, or spend time messing with settings.

The point of a console is simple: buy a game, download it, play it. Not buy a game, worry that the system you bought 2 years ago for $800 with an R9 280 will handle the new game, mess with the settings until you get it pkayable, then play.

The bottom line is playing games on a PC forces you to take on another hobby. Consoles make things simple, and there isn't a darn thing wrong with that.

That's why single player games I want good graphics out of I play on PC, myltiplayer I play on my console, because my friends are there. If I play multiplayer on PC I'll have to make "virtual friends" that I never see or meet, that's ok for some I guess, but not me, and not for most other gamers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
for a set of reasons I find it hard to believe that a console can run games at 4k. Most games can not even maintain a resolution of 1080p, the so called PS 4.5 will need to have at least 4 times the graphical processing power to maintain 4K 30 FPS with the current level of graphical fidelity, I suppose it is not that very far fetched in the next year or so. In any case, I would be extremely surprised and impressed if they manged to run games at 4k on any console in 2016.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
This maybe the PS5.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Just came home. gonna read it later, but there are also 4K blu rays coming out. Might be one of the reasons. Also the consoles are, relatively speaking, way behind single GPU PCs compared to where the Xbox 360/PS3 have been at the same time.

When the PS3 came out it was about equal with the strongest single GPU you could buy. It was the Geforce 7900 or something like that.
But with PS4 it was like RADEON HD 7850~ roughly. At that time the 290X/780 Ti were already three times as fast.

Xbox One is even worse. I think with Pascal/Polaris we will get 40W passive cards with no external power that outperform the Xbox One easily.

Let's see what will happen. VR is another reason I imagine.

Still just rumors though.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm curious as to how they would achieve this at a "reasonable" price considering you need top of the line $600+ GPU to be able to hold 30 fps. And that's just $$$ for the GPU alone. Even with console specific optimization this would still require top of the line expensive hardware. What would they price this console at? $800+?

1 - 20 of 193 Posts