Overclock.net banner

[IGN]Square Enix Details Photo-Realistic Next-Gen Engine

6K views 84 replies 67 participants last post by  jackeyjoe 
#1 ·
Quote:
At a Japanese press conference this weekend, Square Enix showed off its new engine for next-generation games, called Luminous.

The engine is designed with DirectX 11 support, and, according to a report by Game Watch (via EDGE), is capable of cloth and fluid simulation, realtime reflections, and new methods of detailing 3D models.
Source

Unlike in the west, Japanese developers still have the habit of developing games from scratch, or using some proprietary engine only a particular studio owns.

Square-Enix tried to make things easier by making an engine some time ago called Crystal Tools, but I guess they'll drop that in favor of this new one.

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by girugamesh;15279723
Source

Unlike in the west, Japanese developers still have the habit of developing games from scratch, or using some proprietary engine only a particular studio owns.
And a bad habit of thinking graphics are more important than gameplay. Well, Square-Enix at least, not necessarily all Japanese developers.

#4 ·
Looks good. I want to see more.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon
View Post

And a bad habit of thinking graphics are more important than gameplay. Well, Square-Enix at least, not necessarily all Japanese developers.

How so? Final Fantasy XIII and XIV aren't the only games that Square's done this generation and even then there's no proof that they've prioritized graphics over gameplay.

If anything it's just the creative minds behind the aforementioned two games aren't doing their jobs well, while their art department is showing their competence. After all, their games have always been pretty, even when they had the gameplay to back it up.

#15 ·
Great job SE, now go and actually make something worth peoples time with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by corky dorkelson
View Post

I think they are lying and just shot some video of a guy walking with a camera and told us they had a new engine.

I thought something along those lines when I first saw this fur rendering a while ago :

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGX1016
View Post

Non-HD is a terrible way to showcase this but you can clearly see it looks amazing.

Not really. They are showing sparse rooms, something many other engines have been able to render pretty accurately. Show us something harder to render, like a human face, or complex foliage. Then I'll be impressed.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilnome
View Post

I overlooked that... small-scale? casual games? and consoles?

Doesn't sound like it's for PC gamers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.