Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Valve Announces the Steam Deck, a $400 Handheld Gaming PC - IGN

I feel like there is not much of a use case for this. Most people who use handheld gaming deceives still use them at home where steam link would work better IMO for anyone who already has a gaming PC, and I'd imagine not many people who don't have a gaming PC would buy this since they would probably want to buy a desktop or laptop first.

At the same time, if this concept did work, nothing stopping other manufacturers from making similar devices and in fact a few already exist.

An interesting concept but I can't think of a good use case for this. For anyone who wants to play on a portable device at home, steam link seems like it would be a better option and a lot cheaper, and it doesn't seem like there are many people who really care about gaming "on the go" where steam link wouldn't work for them.

·
Premium Member
6,808 Posts
Valve Announces the Steam Deck, a $400 Handheld Gaming PC - IGN
Note that you need the dock to plug it into an external display so unless you are OK with never being able to do that, the base price isn't really $400.
Where did you read that? The specs page I read says the SteamDeck USB-C has DisplayPort 1.4 Alt-Mode support. Wouldnt that be able to go into any display that accepts display port? It shouldnt only be able to go into the dock.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Where did you read that? The specs page I read says the SteamDeck USB-C has DisplayPort 1.4 Alt-Mode support. Wouldnt that be able to go into any display that accepts display port? It shouldnt only be able to go into the dock.
Dock isn't needed, its just convenience and nicer looking vs letting the thing lay flat on the table. This handheld looks like some nice kit but if they don't get an OLED panel in there before full launch its a pretty big fail imo.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I watched a gamers nexus video on it where he said that the dock is needed for video output. Ill try to find exactly where he said that.

Edit: nvm I was wrong about that. I guess it's probably safe to assume it can do it then but I haven't seen that confirmed.

·
PC Evangelist
47,621 Posts
Did anyone manage to preorder?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If it doesn’t play Pokemon or Animal Crossing, don’t expect a long run.

I look forward to watching the Lazy Game Reviews oddware video in 10 years.

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,775 Posts
I wonder how long until people learn how to emulate a Switch on this. Bootleg Pokemon and every PC game known to man would be an insane value.

·
discontent laypleb
434 Posts
I'm going to be honest, the concept appeals to me a lot. A handheld portable PC is a niche not properly filled, and this looks promising, due to its reasonable price and groundbreaking (relative to its current competitors) specifications. I like the thought of being able to lie in bed after a long day with complete freedom as to my choice of activity, be that browsing the internet, gaming or watching shows/movies. I really hope it stirs up a competitive market for these sorts of portable PC devices since competition is sorely lacking. I only wish the SD reader supported a higher standard, it supported WiFi 6 but most importantly had a OLED and/or higher hertz screen. Maybe in future revisions.

·
PC Gamer
1,257 Posts
I have mine on pre-order. Looking forward to it. I got the best one there is.

·
Engineer of Malcontent
5,785 Posts
I have perfect use case for this. My life. I have three kids and a wife that are constantly fighting for time with the Nintendo and TV. The fact I can just bust this out and game, while still being in same room is pretty cool idea. I'm not sure about the price tag though...

·
Gamer
3,647 Posts
If it doesn’t play Pokemon or Animal Crossing, don’t expect a long run.

I look forward to watching the Lazy Game Reviews oddware video in 10 years.
It plays both, emulators guys! EMULATORS!!!

Honestly, I hope this does well. I want to see the next refined version of this device.

The specs are good enough to run even Gamecube/Wii, 3DS, and PS2 games...A decent Switch emulator will come with time.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
It plays both, emulators guys! EMULATORS!!!

Honestly, I hope this does well. I want to see the next refined version of this device.

The specs are good enough to run even Gamecube/Wii, 3DS, and PS2 games...A decent Switch emulator will come with time.
I know what emulators are, but I’m referring to native games. Non-Nintendo handhelds fail because they don’t play Nintendo games.

·
Banned
2,898 Posts
The best gaming PC I like it
I desperatley want to own one

But mines connecting to internet via 5G
Then its going to have a illegal drug and steam cell pheraphy injection system
Smoking drugs 24/7 every day

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to be honest, the concept appeals to me a lot. A handheld portable PC is a niche not properly filled, and this looks promising, due to its reasonable price and groundbreaking (relative to its current competitors) specifications. I like the thought of being able to lie in bed after a long day with complete freedom as to my choice of activity, be that browsing the internet, gaming or watching shows/movies. I really hope it stirs up a competitive market for these sorts of portable PC devices since competition is sorely lacking. I only wish the SD reader supported a higher standard, it supported WiFi 6 but most importantly had a OLED and/or higher hertz screen. Maybe in future revisions.
I have perfect use case for this. My life. I have three kids and a wife that are constantly fighting for time with the Nintendo and TV. The fact I can just bust this out and game, while still being in same room is pretty cool idea. I'm not sure about the price tag though...
Have you tried steam link?

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have not tried it recently. I gave it a shot a year or so after it came out when Valve selling them for $20 each or something. Never managed to get it working.
I mean on your phone.

The reason valve stopped making the steam link device is because it became an app for phones and smart TVs so the device wasn't needed anymore. Download steam link on your phone and give it a try. If you just want to game at home where you have wifi, it works perfectly.

I got a $20 controller for my phone that looks like an Xbox controller and it works great.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Came here hoping to find people speculating performance. Its seems its a custom SOC that's under half of an Xbox Series S all around except using 16GB LPDDR5 at 5500MT/s at unknown latencies instead of GDDR6.

Anyone take a guess how much slower that RAM is likely to perform than GDDR6 for the 8CU's of RDNA2?

How much is using Linux likely to affect performance vs the console OS?

Obviously its running at slightly less than HD resolution, but it would be nice to know roughly how much they are exaggerating. If I can get one I'll probably pick one up anyway pending reviews. I use my Switch a fair amount when I'm travelling and this would work well for me

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,363 Posts
Needs a faster screen.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Came here hoping to find people speculating performance. Its seems its a custom SOC that's under half of an Xbox Series S all around except using 16GB LPDDR5 at 5500MT/s at unknown latencies instead of GDDR6.

Anyone take a guess how much slower that RAM is likely to perform than GDDR6 for the 8CU's of RDNA2?

How much is using Linux likely to affect performance vs the console OS?

Obviously its running at slightly less than HD resolution, but it would be nice to know roughly how much they are exaggerating. If I can get one I'll probably pick one up anyway pending reviews. I use my Switch a fair amount when I'm travelling and this would work well for me
I think performance will be PS4 like but with a bit more cpu headroom.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I think performance will be PS4 like but with a bit more cpu headroom.
PS4 Pro I could deal with, I only want it to play indies and strategy games on the go/sofa and that would easily handle 95% of my Steam library. Its certainly way way ahead of that on paper, just depends on how well they cope with Linux.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts