Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
PS4 Pro I could deal with, I only want it to play indies and strategy games on the go/sofa and that would easily handle 95% of my Steam library. Its certainly way way ahead of that on paper, just depends on how well they cope with Linux.
Have you tried steam link on ur phone?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Have you tried steam link on ur phone?
Probably a good option for some, but I need something I can take away from home with me too. I've got an actual physical Steam link in the cupboard I used a bit, latency was pretty bad over wifi and wired was impractical for me, thats partly why I bought a Switch.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
I have perfect use case for this. My life. I have three kids and a wife that are constantly fighting for time with the Nintendo and TV. The fact I can just bust this out and game, while still being in same room is pretty cool idea. I'm not sure about the price tag though...
Can relate. I'm bored but I still want to be present.
Came here hoping to find people speculating performance. Its seems its a custom SOC that's under half of an Xbox Series S all around except using 16GB LPDDR5 at 5500MT/s at unknown latencies instead of GDDR6.

Anyone take a guess how much slower that RAM is likely to perform than GDDR6 for the 8CU's of RDNA2?

How much is using Linux likely to affect performance vs the console OS?

Obviously its running at slightly less than HD resolution, but it would be nice to know roughly how much they are exaggerating. If I can get one I'll probably pick one up anyway pending reviews. I use my Switch a fair amount when I'm travelling and this would work well for me
The SOC is very similar to existing SOCs on the market in laptops. The LPDDR5 makes sense because bandwidth matters a lot more than latency when you are leveraging onboard graphics - which is what these are. It will be good for medium or even high detail 60+ fps in many esports game (with the exception of rocket league and rainbow six and stuff like that) and it will do low or medium detail on current generation AAA games at 30ish fps at native resolution. I don't see this performing significantly better than any other existing PC handheld that came out this year.

The cool thing about this is the price. 399$ on the base model is really good, and the quality of the controls should be tight. The integrated steam OS should also work quite well for the purpose of this thing, which is to be a portable steam machine. And there is in home streaming for heavier games.

Also, emulation.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Can relate. I'm bored but I still want to be present.

The SOC is very similar to existing SOCs on the market in laptops. The LPDDR5 makes sense because bandwidth matters a lot more than latency when you are leveraging onboard graphics - which is what these are. It will be good for medium or even high detail 60+ fps in many esports game (with the exception of rocket league and rainbow six and stuff like that) and it will do low or medium detail on current generation AAA games at 30ish fps at native resolution. I don't see this performing significantly better than any other existing PC handheld that came out this year.

The cool thing about this is the price. 399$ on the base model is really good, and the quality of the controls should be tight. The integrated steam OS should also work quite well for the purpose of this thing, which is to be a portable steam machine. And there is in home streaming for heavier games.

Also, emulation.
My first thought was it was close to a 5700G with a weaker CPU, but it turns out they're still using Vega in those newer APU's, unless there are others I don't know about using RDNA2 other than the consoles.

I guess any problems the LPDDR5 latency might cause the CPU part would be redundant as the GPU wouldn't push frames high enough to find any CPU limit. On the graphics side, I was assuming that performance would suffer even further under Steam OS vs Windows as it would need some sort of WINE type layer to translate it. In that it cant be compared directly to being half of an Xbox series X even if it wasnt for the reduced clock speeds and the fact it has less than half the RDNA CU's the Xbox S does (8 vs 20). Guess we'll have to wait and see if there's some voodoo there that helps other than reduced resolution.

I don't think there's enough space on the thing to justify AAA games being installed, not to mention as you say even the current most demanding titles will probably struggle to keep a steady 30, let alone in the future. . I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised about that, but as you say theres also the option to stream locally for those.

Totally agree on the price, its very aggressive.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
I guess one of the best takeaways from this is that AMD has successful DDR5 memory controllers working even on older Zen2 core silicon. Will be interesting to see what kind of overclocking people do with these once they come out.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You can run steam link on this natively. Those with good desktops will just stream the heavier games if needed.

A lot of people will buy this for the convenience of running indie games effortlessly, or as a portable PC for whatever/whenever/wherever they want to do.

A smaller subset will buy this and emulate all the old console games plus everything Nintendo release because they don't want to buy a locked down Switch.

Most people however will watch keenly how SteamOS 3.0 will go on this. The progress Proton has made in running games is amazing. Theres still issues with anti-cheat but EAC is working with Steam for this release. Some games perform better than Windows using Vulkan.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,908 Posts
There's a lot of excitement for this in the Linux community. Valve's plan is to have every Windows game playable in SteamOS (Linux) by the time this is released.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,908 Posts
Overly.

Like 3rd party also? Or just their own IP? Because if its the latter I thought they already did it during the Steam Machine fiasco.
Their goal is to have every Windows game on Steam playable with Proton. Most games already do, most of the ones that don't, it's because of anti-cheat software. Linux native games work with anticheat, but the compatibility layer that allows a Windows game to be played on Linux is seen as a cheat to the software. Valves working with EAC and Battleye to solve the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not that anyone asked for it, but my two cents is that this is likely going to flop. The only reason the Switch has been successful is cause Nintendo.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Not that anyone asked for it, but my two cents is that this is likely going to flop. The only reason the Switch has been successful is cause Nintendo.
Except that the steam deck is a handheld PC which means you can play the nintendo backlog on it very easily. Handhelds that tried to compete in the past with Nintendo have all failed aside from the PSP because there really was nothing like the APUs we have now.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Except that the steam deck is a handheld PC which means you can play the nintendo backlog on it very easily. Handhelds that tried to compete in the past with Nintendo have all failed aside from the PSP because there really was nothing like the APUs we have now.
If that's the case there's been a ton of these handhelds.
The only difference between them and this is that we should I hope to expect some QC on said product vs the random name branded ones out of China.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The backlog, sure, but I was also referring to current-gen Switch games.

My quasi-educated guess is that the hardware in this won’t be powerful enough to emulate Switch games, were an emulator even available.

Edit: I’ll be darned, learned something new today. I had never heard of Yuzu.

So yeah. Cool idea, but for the money they’re asking, I’d rather have a laptop. And again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
The backlog, sure, but I was also referring to current-gen Switch games.

My quasi-educated guess is that the hardware in this won’t be powerful enough to emulate Switch games, were an emulator even available.

Edit: I’ll be darned, learned something new today. I had never heard of Yuzu.

So yeah. Cool idea, but for the money they’re asking, I’d rather have a laptop. And again, just my opinion.
Sure but a laptop doesn't have a gamepad built around the screen it's also going to be a bit less portable. Clearly the switch demonstrated theres a market for a device like it, now Valve made the PC version of that and while maybe the first gen product wont be potent enough to play switch games through emulation the next surely will. The hardware in the steam deck is only being asked to push 720p though and I definitely see it doable to optimize the emulator to work well with it.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Clearly the switch demonstrated theres a market for a device like it
The Switch is a Nintendo product and is the reason why it has its market space in the USA.
If it wasn't for it being a Nintendo product it'll be just like any other handheld PC/Gaming device that's been out that we all forget about the day after the press launch.

I mean look at the PSP and PS Vita. Superior hardware to the Nintendo DS and 3DS and yet still couldn't outsell them.
And hell the VITA was a pioneer of its time, allowing for remote play and such and to be used as the 2nd screen when playing PS3. But no one remembers that nor do they care.

Because to tell you the truth, the age group Sony was aiming for is the same that Steam is looking to capture I bet. And sorry to say it most of them do not care, don't have the time, and don't want to fork out 200~300 bucks for a dedicated portable gaming console.

Yes I know they did amazing with the presale, but I'm gonna bet hardware sales will crawl after the 1st six months if there is no manufacturing/parts supply issue.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sure but a laptop doesn't have a gamepad built around the screen it's also going to be a bit less portable. Clearly the switch demonstrated theres a market for a device like it, now Valve made the PC version of that and while maybe the first gen product wont be potent enough to play switch games through emulation the next surely will. The hardware in the steam deck is only being asked to push 720p though and I definitely see it doable to optimize the emulator to work well with it.
This wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison by any means but a surface pro 3 can run games like BF4 and low res fairly well. It's possible to buy a used surface pro 3 or something like that and buy a controller for it like this: Amazon.com: ipega-PG-9083S Wireless 4.0 Joystick Gamepad Controller Mobile for Samsung Galaxy S10/S10+ /S20 S20+5G/Huawei P40 Pro P30 P30 Pro Mate Android Mobile Smartphone Tablet (Android 6.0 Higher System): Electronics

The steam deck is neat, but if I was trying to do mobile PC gaming even in a handheld way, it's probably not the route I would go.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts