Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 546 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never posted this before... so im not sure how to format it... if someone could please tell me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen
Quote:
The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN.

Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multidisplay output, 3D and 1080p HD output. The chip currently has a market price of upwards of $79.99.
I find the GPU choice kind of funny... they are going with an outdated chip already and ignoring the 7xxx series...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
crappy gpu is crappy. but then again, console runs games directly on hardware, pc does not.

·
Registered
585 Posts
What? Wii-U uses similar to HD 4850/4870, which is far stronger than HD 6670. I'd guess this article is bull.. I'm expecting HD 6850/6870 on 720.

·
Banned
75 Posts
The 6670 isn't even any faster than an 8800GT in terms of raw power, which is like 5 years old.

Consoles are so behind, it's not even funny.

·
Registered
224 Posts
"We often have at least ten times as much horsepower as an Xbox 360 or a PS3 in a high-end graphics card, yet it's very clear that the games don't look ten times as good. To a significant extent, that's because, one way or another, for good reasons and bad - mostly good, DirectX is getting in the way."

I think this will be the same with consoles, it may be 6x powerfullier, but this will only be fully shown off at the end of its life span, just like the xbox 360 and ps3.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
They don't have to program to AMD drivers which requires using certain APIs. That means games will run a little bit faster.

Edit: Clarified my original statement more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerRanger View Post

6 times? Pfff.
PCs are 10 times more powerful than current consoles.
By the time these new consoles come out, PC hardware will be 20 times more powerful than them (the new ones, not the current gen).
Consoles will never catch up to the awesomeness that is PC gaming.
And since the majority of studios develop for the lowest common denominator of console hardware, we'll be stuck at 6670 graphics for the next 10 years on the PC.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post

They don't have to program to a driver so games will run a little bit faster.
I hope you're kidding.

Every piece of hardware needs a driver to interact with the software. Of course, it' won't have drivers like in the PC sense. But it will have to be there, and it won't make the HD 6670 run any faster than what it already does.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

·
Agressive Perfector
1,309 Posts
6 times as powerful as a current system?

So it's as fast as a 550 ti hooked up to a Phenom II x3?

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
Formatting seems good
tongue.gif
You should have posted this in rumors but other than that
thumb.gif

On topic: I hope it is 6 times as powerful as the 360 and it actually does true 1080p rather than upscaled
biggrin.gif
I hope the release price won't be more than £300 either
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerRanger View Post

6 times? Pfff.
PCs are 10 times more powerful than current consoles.
By the time these new consoles come out, PC hardware will be 20 times more powerful than them (the new ones, not the current gen).
Consoles will never catch up to the awesomeness that is PC gaming.
Actually there is around 6-12 months where console releases are better
laugher.gif
After that new PC hardware will come out will be twice as powerful. Sure if these rumors are true and PC hardware will still be more powerful especially with AMD 79XX, nVidia GTX 6XX, Intel IB and AMD Piledriver being released soon but the console games will be better optimized for the hardware.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear View Post

And since the majority of studios develop for the lowest common denominator of console hardware, we'll be stuck at 6670 graphics for the next 10 years on the PC.
But since they will develop things especially for 6670, it'll probably run better than a pc with a 6670. Saying we'll be stuck at 6670 level graphics is silly, we've already passed that on pc's even with current consoles (lack of) graphics processing power. We're not suddenly jumping backwards.

1 - 20 of 546 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.