Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With some of the new monitors being released lately, esp. the new Dells, it seems that more and more manufacturers are going the IGZO route for high resolution / 4k displays. I understand that it maybe because it is cost effective to produce the IGZO displays and the fact that they are more efficient in terms of power consumption, an important factor when mobile displays are concerned. However, for most desktop users, power consumption isn't much of an issue, so it comes down to display quality. I currently have an IPS monitor and absolutely love the color reproduction and excellent viewing angles. With that said, how do the IGZO panels compare to IPS in terms of display quality?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. Anyone with a 4k monitor want to chime in? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizarsoze View Post

With some of the new monitors being released lately, esp. the new Dells, it seems that more and more manufacturers are going the IGZO route for high resolution / 4k displays. I understand that it maybe because it is cost effective to produce the IGZO displays and the fact that they are more efficient in terms of power consumption, an important factor when mobile displays are concerned. However, for most desktop users, power consumption isn't much of an issue, so it comes down to display quality. I currently have an IPS monitor and absolutely love the color reproduction and excellent viewing angles. With that said, how do the IGZO panels compare to IPS in terms of display quality?
Sorry to bump an old thread, but since this never got a response and it's the top Google result for IGZO vs IPS, I thought I should give an answer.

IGZO is not actually a panel type. It's a type of transistor used in a display's TFT backplane, which is what controls the display panel (whether that panel is TN, IPS, or even OLED). It uses Indium-Gallium-Zinc-Oxide as a semiconductor instead of Silicon.

Compared to amorphous Silicon (aSi) which is what is used in typical displays, IGZO transistors have a lot higher electron mobility, so their conductivity is just as good at a much smaller size (conductivity depends on electron mobility and mass. Higher electron mobility means less mass is required for the same conductivity). With its small size compared to aSi, IGZO is useful for high density displays where aSi TFTs would start to block a significant amount of the backlight, requiring more power to the backlight to compensate (increasing exponentially as the pixel density increases). With IGZO TFTs, not as much backlight is needed to get the display to a certain brightness. So all-in-all for current LCDs like IPS monitors, IGZO mostly translates into some power savings. However, IGZO can also operate more quickly than aSi which may be useful if OLED takes off and the refresh rate limitations of LCD are no longer applicable. Furthermore they can be made transparent, which again may be useful if OLED takes off, since OLEDs can be made transparent as well.

For current displays though? IGZO just means some power savings especially on mobile devices with ultra-dense displays. There is no difference in image quality, accuracy, or what have you, between aSi-TFT-driven IPS displays and IGZO-TFT-driven IPS displays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Not sure if it was mentioned but IGZO provides faster response times too. Much faster than IPS. And the use of such exotic materials and manufacturing difficulties is keeping the cost of IGZO high for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomtomb View Post

Not sure if it was mentioned but IGZO provides faster response times too. Much faster than IPS. And the use of such exotic materials and manufacturing difficulties is keeping the cost of IGZO high for now.
Yeah, I did touch on that. Unfortunately since IPS/TN and other LCD technologies have such slow response times, IGZO's higher speed is wasted on them and won't come in play until OLED is developed further.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
I know this is an old topic but came up in search. Does anyone know of some 24 or 27 inch computer monitors that use igzo technology? I've read of one, but it was hit or miss because that company used panel lottery, so there was no guarantee of getting one with igzo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by illli View Post

I know this is an old topic but came up in search. Does anyone know of some 24 or 27 inch computer monitors that use igzo technology? I've read of one, but it was hit or miss because that company used panel lottery, so there was no guarantee of getting one with igzo
Sharp makes some smaller IGZO-TFT panels - 4k at 23.6'' (LQ236D1JG01) and 5k at 27'' (LQ270D1JG01)
but I don't know which monitors are using them (yet). they are both very recent panels.
there are also such panels at those sizes/resolutions by Samsung and LG Display but they are a-Si-TFT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by illli View Post

I know this is an old topic but came up in search. Does anyone know of some 24 or 27 inch computer monitors that use igzo technology? I've read of one, but it was hit or miss because that company used panel lottery, so there was no guarantee of getting one with igzo
I don't know of any, sorry.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top