Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I'll be visiting this site from now on. I just converted my old ass from console to PC. yeah im an ATARI, ATARI1600, Ninitendo,snes,n64,sega,sega genesis,sega cd, sega dreamcast, and all the sony stuff kinda guy...and yes ive owned over the last 20 years all of these systems. Some ive owned 4 times, ya know gotta get gas money so ya sell one cuz you have 4 systems...lol. But i bought a DELL a year ago not knowing anything about PC's and i started playing games on it. I realized i have a piece of crap. I need some help because it would be fun to try to tweak it and add stuff to see if i can turn it around. Plus i stay at home with my kids and im bored out of my mind so i need a hobby. I'm interested in overclocking my CPU and Graphics card but wanted to get some good info before I blow everything up.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well, with your system specs, I'd say it's pretty decent to start out with (Hell, I wish I had your graphics card). I, for one, don't think it's a 'total' piece of crap, but with a few tweaks and system cleanups, you can make your PC very clean and optimized.

Assuming you bought your PC straight from Dell, I assume you have a motherboard made by Dell, and that means you won't be able to overclock it (sorry).

However, your 6800 GT can be, so you can spend some time on that. Anytime you feel like tweaking your nVIDIA cards, check out RivaTuner.

Oh yes, and welcome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearbox
Well, with your system specs, I'd say it's pretty decent to start out with (Hell, I wish I had your graphics card). I, for one, don't think it's a 'total' piece of crap, but with a few tweaks and system cleanups, you can make your PC very clean and optimized.

Assuming you bought your PC straight from Dell, I assume you have a motherboard made by Dell, and that means you won't be able to overclock it (sorry).

However, your 6800 GT can be, so you can spend some time on that. Anytime you feel like tweaking your nVIDIA cards, check out RivaTuner.

Oh yes, and welcome!

I guess ill need a new motherboard so ill need some advice on that as well.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Welcome to the nut house...
I mean info house

You have come to the right place... We have some of the best minds in the world lingering here... Old Albert Einstein makes the odd ghostly apperance now and again and we got Stephen Hawkings who does are answer phone messages. Its a hoot .

Anyways welcome to the forums... Your love it.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Welcome to overclock.net

Jump over to the intel section. We have some of the brightest computer minds of all time, waiting to pounce on your questions

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Welcome!

And that is a pretty nice system you have there to start off with. The processor (with a motherboard that supports overclocking) can get up quite a bit. If its a northwood core, your looking at 3.2ghz under the right conditions, and if its a prescott, possibly 3.5-3.6ghz. The graphics card, As Gearbox said, you can start overclocking it right away with rivatuner, or Coolbits.
If you want to overclock your cpu without having to buy a new motherboard, case, and PSU, you will have to find out if ClockGen supports your motherboard.
Good luck and enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Have you checked what core you CPU is? If not, check CPU-z. But since you bought it a year ago, its most likely a Northwood core, but its worth a try.

its a northwood core but CPU-Z wont determine Voltage and says its C not D1 and its 7 step not 9

1 - 11 of 11 Posts