Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know there are many other topics and such on this but I am stumped on how to oc on through a bios ( all my other ocs have been done on older comps with jumpers) I was wondering if anyone with my chip and mobo could help me, or at least anyone with my mobo. I have raised the vcore a little and cpu-z is telling me I'm getting 1.424v, yes I know that cpu-z can be inaccurate also. I have the htt set to 210 and I think the multi is locked on the 3700 so it is at x11 which is giving me 2310, and the chip started at 2200. I am not sure what the htt is but it seems to be like the fsb because the more I raise it the higher my clock goes just like the fsb would do, so am I correct in thinking this? If I rember correctly my rig is at 1/1 so I don't think that there is a divider being run, and If there were I don't know why because I woulen't know how to make one. If I rember correctly I kept raising the htt and at about 216 or 218 my rig woulden't boot, but it would let me get into bios. What I am getting at is......can you lead me (basically holding my hand) through what I need to do to oc because before this on the rigs I used to oc all I had to do was set a jumper for my multi and a jumper for my fsp and mabey one for my vcore and that's it, so all these options and such are very overwhelming to me.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I lower the ht to x4, I have heard that that does limit your oc uless you put it at x4 or at higher clocks x3, but I can't seem to see a thing that says ht xwhatever.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
your htt has to end up being no more or close to around the 1000 mark, so at 250 fsb your htt multi has to be at 4x to end up with 1000mhz, any higher than 250 fsb you go to 3x,

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohhh, ok.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbite

It should be in the chipset options

it might say LDT/FSB frequency ratio, change that to 3 or 4 depending on how far you want to go.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ohh, yes I see it now thank you. Yeah I have a ''genie'' bios setting and thats what I click to oc it. Ok I just set it to x4 and set the fsb to 220 and the core voltage is set to 1.45. The ram is at 2.6v can I bump it to 2.7v because that'as what I hear most of you guys do.

UPDATE!

It wont boot at 220 htt with ht set to x4 and I even upped the cpu voltage to 1.475, so now what do I do?

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xypex982

Ohh, yes I see it now thank you. Yeah I have a ''genie'' bios setting and thats what I click to oc it. Ok I just set it to x4 and set the fsb to 220 and the core voltage is set to 1.45. The ram is at 2.6v can I bump it to 2.7v because that'as what I hear most of you guys do.

you might want to check what your ram is capable of but i dont think 1.7 will be a problem, have you got the divider sorted out yet to slow ya ram down to under your threshold so you can go higher with the cpu?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
My ram was at 2.67 I bumped it up to 2.8 its much faster apart from the hdd

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so the divider......I have an idea on what it does, but I have pc3700 ram so......what sort of divider should I run and how would I make it?

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Ok, so the divider......I have an idea on what it does, but I have pc3700 ram so......what sort of divider should I run and how would I make it?

ok do you know how far your ram can go before instability, anyway start by putting the divider at 166, have a look in dram config i think it says, I can do a restart to find out what it says if you cant get into it, its up the top in my bios, there are different version and dont all look the same, not to mentioin that im NF3.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I clicked on genie bios settings then on dram configuration and at the top I see an option called dram frequency set (mhz) is that it because it allows me to se it at 200mhz.

UPDATE!!!

Ok, I have the ram set at 166mhz, now do you want me to run it at 220 with a ht of 4.0 and the core at 1.45?

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

I clicked on genie bios settings then on dram configuration and at the top I see an option called dram frequency set (mhz) is that it because it allows me to se it at 200mhz.

yes thats it, set that at 166, if you set it at 200 it will be at 1:1 and your memory might run too quick and crash, assuming you are doing a cpu oc firstly.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I have the ram set at 166mhz, now do you want me to run it at 220 with a ht of 4.0 and the core at 1.45?

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

sounds like a plan, are you going to do all the ocing in the bios or use a program like clockgen and do it in windows, i find it easier to get it going firstly in windows and you can apply it later in the bios. also disable the spread sprectrum, cant remember where it is but you want to disable that. set the agp pci lock at 67 mhz too.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, it booted into windows with the ram at 166mhz the cpu at 1.45 at 220 ht of 4. I am getting sisandra so what tests should I run on sisandra? I know you must prime95 for like alot of time but isn't there somthing that is quicker and then when I fail the quicker test I'll back off then run prime95? Also so now that I have booted up what do I do, test, push the fsb, or push the ram mhz?

BTW, I have pci e and on the bios it said ''set pcie frequency'' and it was already set to 100mhz and I know not to mess with that.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Ok, it booted into windows with the ram at 166mhz the cpu at 1.45 at 220 ht of 4. I am getting sisandra so what tests should I run on sisandra? I know you must prime95 for like alot of time but isn't there somthing that is quicker and then when I fail the quicker test I'll back off then run prime95? Also so now that I have booted up what do I do, test, push the fsb, or push the ram mhz?

i always overclock when folding at maximum cpu usage or use prime and run a torture test, you want to start upping the fsb until prime becomes unstable (it will let you know by stopping and going yellow) and maybe even crashes or the dredded BSOD, are you using a windows based prog to do the ocing? keep an eye on your cpu temps as well. when you up the fsb the ram will come up too, the reason for the divider

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First well is this the setting you wanted me to turn off called ''SATA Spread Spectrum'' if so it was already disabled. Secondly I just use the bios to mess with cpu voltages and whatnot, but as far as bumping up the fsb I use cpufsb. HA with the settings i have currently I can already tell windows boots ALOT quicker, and I thought it booted really quick to start with.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts