Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, i wanted to try turbo V Evo for kicks, and let it do its thing. I came back a while later, and all seemed well, so i ran 1 rin of LinX. (without checking any parameters such as vcore). It came out to 48 gflops. I was wondering how it was so high, so i opened cpuz and realtemp, and ran 1 more run on linx. It was @ 4.2 GHZ on my sig rig....and temps immediately jumped up to .....95C on one core...and was rising. I quickly ended linX and went to the bios to reset everything.

I really hope i didn't damage my I7

It was @ 1.408 Vcore for about i 5 minutes, imc at 1.4 as well.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
No that shouldn't damage your CPU, especially over that short of time. We had a computer that ran with it's CPU fan broken for over a year at work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazing angel
View Post

I really hope i didn't damage my I7

You should be fine. I've run similar CPUs at ultra-high temps like these with overclocking and never damaged them. I wouldn't recommend stressing the CPU like that for hours and days on end, but nothing like what you did should ever really cause an issue.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's fine bro, as long as you didn't run it at those temps for hours on end it should be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm glad it's alright. If I was you at that time I'd of had a GD heart attack. My AMD 955 hit 60c once and I thought I totaled it!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazing angel
View Post

Thanks guys, almost gave myself a heart attack!

I'm posting from that pc right now (@ stock though)
I'm guessing it was at 95 for about 120 seconds

Remember that your cpu should do a thermal shutdown if it almost gets to its melting point

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
it should be all good. Just always monitor your temps, fine tune the settings, and test. LinX will stress that cpu to the max.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It will be alright. I once accidentally disconnected the H50 pump while reseating ram and forgot to connect it.

CPU flew up to 100 degrees in notime. Had about 10 thermal shutdowns before I finally figured what was up haha!

System is still running perfectly fine at 4.2Ghz, no perceptable damage whatsoever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts