Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I've seen some people say it's best to avoid installing any of these. Why?

I just formatted and started over and I avoided these just to see how things would go. So far, it's fine. Windows probably takes a second or two longer to start up, but maybe it's just The Placebo Effect since I'm watching it very closely now.

What benefits, if any, would I get from installing any of these? Or, should I be selective of which ones I install? Help a new AMD brother out. :)

Edit: If this screenshot's color looks a little off to you, that's because I use the color filter in Ease of Access for "Red-green (green weak, deuteronopia)" and unfortunately, screenshots capture the filter's effect.

• Rep+
Reactions: Asmodian

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I too am a new AMD brother. Along with OP, I am interested in hearing why fellow AMD enthusiasts choose not to install the AMD drivers.

• Rep+
Reactions: TwoCables

·
Graphics Junkie
3,392 Posts
I just installed this the other day. Had no issues before, none after.

Though I think it might be able to make changes to your fan settings and may set them too low on occasion, but I am not certain of this.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just installed this the other day. Had no issues before, none after.

Though I think it might be able to make changes to your fan settings and may set them too low on occasion, but I am not certain of this.
Did you get any changes to your system performance for any tasks?

Edit: I installed all of those drivers. It may be The Placebo Effect, but I could swear my system performance is a little better and motion like scrolling in Firefox is smoother.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,443 Posts
Idk currently no issues here. That said I currently have no issues on any of my systems (5 intel 1 amd). I had issues one 1 Intel and briefly on the amd...took 3 hrs on intel and about 1hr on amd,

·
More Cores!
1,303 Posts
I have always installed the most recent chipset drivers, unless there is a known issue with them. So that's an X370 system, two X399 systems, a B450 system, and a B550 system. I don't think I've ever had an issue with the chipset drivers on any of these.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,392 Posts
Did you get any changes to your system performance for any tasks?

Edit: I installed all of those drivers. It may be The Placebo Effect, but I could swear my system performance is a little better and motion like scrolling in Firefox is smoother.
Given how strong AMD's presence in the desktop market is now, I find it hard to believe there would be any downside to installing their drivers. I didn't notice any difference in smoothness but certainly not any worse.

I wonder if I can hijack this topic briefly and ask, Two Cables, or anyone else, are you use an HDR screen? I went from a 1080Ti to an RX6800 and I noticed major difference in in the HDR capabilities. I thought I was getting HDR before but the RX6800 seems to be way more compatible/capable of doing HDR properly with my 4K TV. I guess I didn't even know what I was missing before. I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn and the HDR look amazing on the new AMD card. It's a night a day difference vs the 1080Ti. I wonder if the newer Nvidia cards can handle HDR better or if this is a brand specific thing.

Anyway, thought that was interesting.

TwoCables, how are you enjoying your new rig now that you have the issues sorted?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,326 Posts
I think it is the sata/raid drivers that are not recommended. Not sure as i haven't used sata in like 6 years. But i believe there was a stability issue with them a while ago. :)

I wonder if I can hijack this topic briefly and ask, Two Cables, or anyone else, are you use an HDR screen? I went from a 1080Ti to an RX6800 and I noticed major difference in in the HDR capabilities. I thought I was getting HDR before but the RX6800 seems to be way more compatible/capable of doing HDR properly with my 4K TV. I guess I didn't even know what I was missing before. I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn and the HDR look amazing on the new AMD card. It's a night a day difference vs the 1080Ti. I wonder if the newer Nvidia cards can handle HDR better or if this is a brand specific thing.

It is a brand specific thing and people have noticed it for many years. I believe it has something to do with how Nvidia's handles its color compression. Nvidia's colors look washed out at default settings. Some people notice it and others don't. If you are doing a side by side comparison it is easier to see the difference. And people will argue about it back and forth.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given how strong AMD's presence in the desktop market is now, I find it hard to believe there would be any downside to installing their drivers. I didn't notice any difference in smoothness but certainly not any worse.
I vaguely remember the reason for avoiding the chipset drivers was stability for overclocking, or maybe higher overclocking headroom. I dunno. I feel better now that I've installed them though.

Sorry no I don't have an HDR capable monitor.

TwoCables, how are you enjoying your new rig now that you have the issues sorted?
Omg, I'm loving it! I'm getting amazing performance just as expected, extremely low power consumption while idling and in low-load situations (which will be great for the summer when I'm in my room but not playing games due to the hot sun cooking my window), and did I mention I'm getting amazing performance? :) I knew it would be better after finally no longer having a GPU bottleneck, but dayum! This is everything I was hoping it would be and much, much, much more. I'm extremely glad I went with AMD.

• Rep+
Reactions: braincracking

·
PC Enthusiast
1,093 Posts
Issues with AMD are usually blown out of proportion.

If it's a problem with Intel & Nvidia, then it's just a regular issue that needs solving.
If it's a problem with AMD then it's a full blown issue with AMD products, & AMD software is trash.

It's quite baffling to see even experienced PC builders to spout such nonsense ('Never had a problem with Intel/Nvidia for years') after an issue with just 1 or 2 PCs with AMD hardware.

I had the exact same experience when I switched from a 1060 to a 5700XT. Massive difference.

I vaguely remember the reason for avoiding the chipset drivers was stability for overclocking, or maybe higher overclocking headroom. I dunno. I feel better now that I've installed them though.
That may be true, as pretty much all complaints are with those who have overclocked or tweaked the CPU, IF, Ram etc..

• Rep+
Reactions: UltraMega

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If it's a problem with Intel & Nvidia, then it's just a regular issue that needs solving.
If it's a problem with AMD then it's a full blown issue with AMD products, & AMD software is trash.
Yeah, I'm not sure what I read on here except I think it might have had something to do with better overclocking headroom or maybe avoiding the drivers makes it easier to stabilize the system, I dunno. I certainly feel better now that I've installed all of those drivers though. After I asked this question, I kept noticing that my system just didn't feel quite right as I was using it and restarting it, etc. So I installed all the drivers and now something's just right about the way it performs. I'm comparing it to before formatting and starting over here.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,392 Posts

It's quite baffling to see even experienced PC builders to spout such nonsense ('Never had a problem with Intel/Nvidia for years') after an issue with just 1 or 2 PCs with AMD hardware.

I had the exact same experience when I switched from a 1060 to a 5700XT. Massive difference.

That may be true, as pretty much all complaints are with those who have overclocked or tweaked the CPU, IF, Ram etc..
Oh cool, glad it's not just me. I can't even go back to playing Horizon without the HDR... I had to RMA my RX6800 due to massive coil while. Still waiting to get a replacement but it's on it's way. The better framerate is a plus but the HDR is the best thing... so much better.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it is the sata/raid drivers that are not recommended. Not sure as i haven't used sata in like 6 years. But i believe there was a stability issue with them a while ago. :)
Oh interesting. I'm having great SATA performance before and after though.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,392 Posts
Have you messed with your ram?

I found that I was able to OC my ram really easily on this platform. Went from 3200mhz with my 7700K to 3600mhz on this new platform, all I did was change the 2nd and third latency option from 16 to 17 so I'm running like 16-16-16-32 3600mhx now vs 16-16-16-32 3200mhz. I tried OCing the ram a bit on my 7700K platform and didn't get far. Ram stability is much better.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you messed with your ram?

I found that I was able to OC my ram really easily on this platform. Went from 3200mhz with my 7700K to 3600mhz on this new platform, all I did was change the 2nd and third latency option from 16 to 17 so I'm running like 16-16-16-32 3600mhx now vs 16-16-16-32 3200mhz. I tried OCing the ram a bit on my 7700K platform and didn't get far. Ram stability is much better.
I've never been attracted to overclocking my memory. So you have 16-17-17-32 3600MHz now vs. 16-16-16-32 3200MHz?

·
PC Enthusiast
1,093 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure what I read on here except I think it might have had something to do with better overclocking headroom or maybe avoiding the drivers makes it easier to stabilize the system, I dunno.
I'm in the same boat.
I dont pay too much attention, like I said, when it comes to AMD, mole hills are mountains.

Oh cool, glad it's not just me. I can't even go back to playing Horizon without the HDR... I had to RMA my RX6800 due to massive coil while. Still waiting to get a replacement but it's on it's way. The better framerate is a plus but the HDR is the best thing... so much better.
Yep, It was like I got new eyes, lol.

Washed out colours with Geforce cards was a wide spread issue which NV never/ couldn't solve(d).

·
Graphics Junkie
3,392 Posts
I've never been attracted to overclocking my memory. So you have 16-17-17-32 3600MHz now vs. 16-16-16-32 3200MHz?
Yea, I've never cared much about OCing ram either but my understanding is that ram stability has improved in most modern mobos substantially, figured I'd give it a try and it was so easy.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,392 Posts
Yep, It was like I got new eyes, lol.

Washed out colours with Geforce cards was a wide spread issue which NV never/ couldn't solve(d).
God, it's so true. New eyes for sure.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh hey yeah I remember now that AMD always had the advantage when it came to color reproduction.

Yea, I've never cared much about OCing ram either but my understanding is that ram stability has improved in most modern mobos substantially, figured I'd give it a try and it was so easy.
Did you get a noticeable improvement in performance anywhere?

·
Graphics Junkie
3,392 Posts
Oh hey yeah I remember now that AMD always had the advantage when it came to color reproduction.

Did you get a noticeable improvement in performance anywhere?

I don't measure my performance in the same way most people here do since I only game in 4K, and I only OCed my ram the other day while I'm still using my 1080Ti... waiting for the RX6800 RMA to come in the mail.

But it is my understanding that even just Ryzen 3000 like to standardize at 3600mhz and thats the sweet spot in terms of cost/performance ram spec for ryzen.... 3000 at least.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts