Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok first, i was planning to buy a cm v8, and it's been 2 weeks now and there's just no stock. i checked my local stores and i was surprised to see a true, a xigy dk and rs. i was supposed to buy it now but when i went there, it's sold out. ocz vendetta and v2 are also out.

the only good cooler that i can find is the true black but and it's priced at $66. i can only have $60 for my budget, and still need to buy a good fan for it. but i can ask mom $10, and that's just the limit of my budget.

so i came a list of hsf that are pretty decent for my budget, that are available.

$40 cm hyper 212
$42 cm n520
$45 cm n620
$24 ac freezer 64 pro
there are a lot of zalmans available, but they're so expensive.
$24 ocz vanquisher

my goal is for my cpu to reach 3ghz (stock 2.2ghz), with idles of 35c and loads not going above 55c. my ambient temp is 30c. and i may wanna use it for 24/7 folding.

are those hsf good enough? shall i get that expensive true black? or shall i wait for 2 more weeks before those arrive?

i'm really dying to oc my cpu and bench it.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

ok first, i was planning to buy a cm v8, and it's been 2 weeks now and there's just no stock. i checked my local stores and i was surprised to see a true, a xigy dk and rs. i was supposed to buy it now but when i went there, it's sold out. ocz vendetta and v2 are also out.

the only good cooler that i can find is the true black but and it's priced at $66. i can only have $60 for my budget, and still need to buy a good fan for it. but i can ask mom $10, and that's just the limit of my budget.

so i came a list of hsf that are pretty decent for my budget, that are available.

$40 cm hyper 212
$42 cm n520
$45 cm n620
$24 ac freezer 64 pro
there are a lot of zalmans available, but they're so expensive.
$24 ocz vanquisher

my goal is for my cpu to reach 3ghz (stock 2.2ghz), with idles of 30c and loads not going above 45c. my ambient temp is 30c. and i may wanna use it for 24/7 folding.

are those hsf good enough? shall i get that expensive true black? or shall i wait for 2 more weeks before those arrive?

i'm really dying to oc my cpu and bench it.

Not even the TRUE will do what you're wanting to do. If your ambient is 30C then your CPU isn't going to get much cooler than 35C or so idle, and that will go up when overclocked. Same thing for load temps, not gonna happen with a high ambient like that. Personally, I'd wait to get a Xig, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

Not even the TRUE will do what you're wanting to do. If your ambient is 30C then your CPU isn't going to get much cooler than 35C or so idle, and that will go up when overclocked. Same thing for load temps, not gonna happen with a high ambient like that. Personally, I'd wait to get a Xig, but that's just me.

Yup, I can't even get an extra 800MHz out of my 940 which is much friendlier to OC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been using a few of these XIGMATEKs and had GREAT results with and without the additional backplate. I'm using one of the 90mm versions on my Phenom 9550 and it does great with some light OCing...though I dont have my hopes up on 3Ghz after looking around the net and toying with it one night.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm maybe i can push the temps a bit further. let's say 35c and 55c? i can switch my ac on anyway . or maybe i'll settle just with 2.8ghz? for as long as my chip wont fry at 1.5v and will last for a year and a half.

i'll edit my 1st post for my desired temps

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cchalogamer
View Post

I've been using a few of these XIGMATEKs and had GREAT results with and without the additional backplate. I'm using one of the 90mm versions on my Phenom 9550 and it does great with some light OCing...though I dont have my hopes up on 3Ghz after looking around the net and toying with it one night.

thanks, but the good xigys are not available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts