Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after thinking, i have decided to go Intel. Though I love AMD, they need to get their stuff together. the rig is as follows:

GeIL 1GB DDR2 667 -$99.99
ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A (V5.1) -97.99
Celeron D 326 -$47

Total: $244.98
the reason im switching is because AMD just came out with AM2, now Socket F and AM3 soon. It looks like Intel will stay with Socket T for a while so, i can upgrade to a Dual, or Quad core CPU. when AMD gets their things back together I will go back.
what do u guys think?

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
That celeron will piss you off to no end...

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx

That celeron will piss you off to no end...

Seconded.
Why do you want to downgrade your system?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wont be downgrading. i need DDR2 to upgrade. if i buy ddr2, i have less money. if i get an AM2, it will be outdated soon. if i go 775, with a cheap CPU, i can get a decent MOBO that will support intels new line of CPUs coming ou. i will also keep this rig, for school/ media center.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Save up for an allendale. Will beat the celeron by about 20x. (exaggeraion)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
OMG, do not get that, it will be a huge downgrade to what you have now, u are going from a good mobo + cpu with 2GB RAM to a bad mobo + cpu with 1GB RAM = NO. Wait for conroe equipment to come down in price, and in the mean time upgrade your current system on S939

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wouldnt want to splash my own cash out for a big downgrade. Wait til you can afford a Conroe. Apart from the conroe every thing else intel has sucks compared to the AMD equivilent. So stick with AMD. AMDs next gen chip will come out mid 2007 so maybe you can stick with AMD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
after thinking, i have decided to go Intel. Though I love AMD, they need to get their stuff together.

Where is the loyalty bro?
Just wait and see, you won't be disappointed.

Intel?.....perish the thought!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k, ill stick with 939, but what to upgrade to? Athlons are sometimes scary to overclock, meby the Opty 165, or 170?

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
No I would bypass the Idea of an Opty. Dont get me wrong there nice but i think you will do better with an Athlon 64 X2. I would say the X2 3800 and or the X2 4400 is a very nice CPU and not to pricey and will serve you well.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701
No I would bypass the Idea of an Opty. Dont get me wrong there nice but i think you will do better with an Athlon 64 X2. I would say the X2 3800 and or the X2 4400 is a very nice CPU and not to pricey and will serve you well.
u think an X2 would be better? but Optys are more stable.

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
u think an X2 would be better? but Optys are more stable.
Opty;s are no more stable IMO. However if you can afford a Dual core Opty then go for it. But an X2 would serve you better and is more future proof due to the fact it is a Dual core. Plus having 2 cores allows for more efficient multitasking and gaming.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701
Opty;s are no more stable IMO. However if you can afford a Dual core Opty then go for it. But an X2 would serve you better and is more future proof due to the fact it is a Dual core. Plus having 2 cores allows for more efficient multitasking and gaming.
ok, ty

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Yup, plus the x2 3800 overclock nicely. I got mine too 2.8GHz from 2Ghz, it can go higher if it weren't for the temps (I have a hot room).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts