Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a 120 gig IDE drive. 1.2Ghz Athlon CPU with 1 gig ddr 400 ram (second stick doesn't work, have to exchange it) with an ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard and an OCZ 500 watt PS.

I'm going to keep the PS & HD and that's about it.
The Untangle box runs 3 PC's, 2 360's, 2 PS3's, Wii and a Tivo.
Roommate uses one PC and I have one as my server (burning stuff, downloading, etc.) and the other one is my gaming rig.
I also use a Linksys BEFSR81 (8 port router) and a WRT54G (4 port wireless).
So I'm looking at spending around 500-700ish, or even below 500.

Here's the hardware requirments.
I'm thinking I'll go with Intel on this one.

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
It wouldn't take much for an upgrade. You might just need to upgrade the cpu or oc some, although I'm not sure of the oc potential of that cpu. I would think 1.6 to 2.0 would be fine. As for ram, 1GB should be enough unless you have a lot of the packages/apps installed. I average about 700MB out of the 1GB in mine. Either way you can upgrade for much less than $500.

Mobo: Jetway G31 $56.49
CPU: Celeron 430 $49.99 or E1200 $59.99 (Not sure about dual-cores on Untangle though)
Ram: G.Skill 1GB $13.99 or G.Skill 2GB $31.49

So roughly $120-150 on Newegg.ca. I use the Celeron 430 in mine and although I don't have as many connections as you, three PCs with one as a nas, my wife and I can stream media from the nas to each PC while surfing/downloading without feeling sluggish. It does run cool and has some oc potential if it's just not able to keep up.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Why are you upgrading? The components you have are more than enough for your network.

If anything, I would go with a mITX Atom 330 build. (Untangle supports dual-core CPUs). It will be smaller and more energy efficent.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Is there any benefit to untangle over a normal router?

·
No u
4,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizeak
View Post

Is there any benefit to untangle over a normal router?

Ya, untangle takes the important packets over the lower-priority packets, and u can add spam blocker, adware,anti virus, phish blocker into untangle. Im getting my Custom router soon on ebay for 100$ so I will see how it works out

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FragaGeddon View Post
Sorry I forgot to state that I'd also like to make this a silent PC, well besides the PS.
Looking at getting a fan less video card. And maybe a CPU with a big honking heatsink on it.
If you go the route Duckie suggested, which is a good idea, and get an Atom build it will be very quiet.
Mini-ITX Case $62.99
Intel Atom $81.99
G.Skill 1GB $13.99

This would be fairly quiet as it only has 2 fans, PSU and CPU. And to reiterate what Duckie stated, it will be small and energy efficient. But what's the need for the video card?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Flip
View Post

If you go the route Duckie suggested, which is a good idea, and get an Atom build it will be very quiet.
Mini-ITX Case $62.99
Intel Atom $81.99
G.Skill 1GB $13.99

This would be fairly quiet as it only has 2 fans, PSU and CPU. And to reiterate what Duckie stated, it will be small and energy efficient. But what's the need for the video card?

What speed is that CPU?
I'll probably go with a 2 gig stick.
Well usually I buy motherboards without on board video, but since this isn't a gaming rig, on board will work well.

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts