Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow...I can't even describe the pain I felt and am feeling. I was swimming at Bally Total Fitness and I wanted to push really hard one lap. I did that as hard as I could, half way through my leg just cramped up so hard I almost drowned right there thank God my dad was with me. My leg felt like it was being squished together, I couldn't move it and it felt like something was stabbing me. Right now I can't walk without help and I'm really scared for my well being. Will this go away? Why am I getting this, I am very healthy and athletic. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Sounds like a cramp, it usually goes away quickly but sometimes it stays for a little longer.<br />
<br />
I suggest you massage the muscle and put on some ice-hot, it should be gone by tomorrow is my guess.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Sometimes I get cramps exactly the same as the one that you described. Usually the pain goes away within a couple hours or at the longest within a few days. I have had no permanent damage from them. I still don't know what causes them as I get them even when I am doing nothing. I hope you feel better.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I've heard potassium helps prevent cramping (bananas).<br />
Dont know what truth there is to it.

·
Retired
2,423 Posts
You will be fine, it just might be a while till you are feeling 100% again. Here is some reading to pass the time while you wait: <a href="http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/legcramp.htm" target="_blank">http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/spra...a/legcramp.htm</a>

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I took 4 ibuprofens and put on a bunch of icy-hot. I'm getting ready for swimming season and this is totally uncommon. I have taken a break from swimming for about 2 years and this is my first time doing it competetively. I guess I need to start eating more veggies and fruits and stuff like that. Been neglecting my health lately. Thanks for the imput.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Do you drink a LOT of water? I drink like 8 bottles a day at least. One day a couple years ago in strength training (it was my first period class my senior year at 735 AM) my teacher flipped for no reason and unplugged the water fountain so I didn't get my morning dose of water. I usually drank after ever set. I was doing hang cleans that day and I pulled my back really bad. There's nothing worse than explosive movement (especially about as explosive as you can get) with your body not being properly hydrated. I couldn't lift the same after that day until like the end of the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts