Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first time poster

Ok so heres my problem....

I have an asus 9980 (5950 ultra) video card and i decided to overclock it. I update drivers to forecware and i have insane problems with the computer even booting so i go back to the 61.77 drivers. I benchmark in 3dmarks 05 and i get around 4fps in the first test and then i quit it after seeing it. I then go and install coolbits and then overclock ~+6mhz in core and memory and then test and apply. I then start the 3dmark again and the same benchmarks going at 0-1fps (about .5 after waiting for about 1 minute and a half)! I quit after a minute or so... I then restore defaults, apply, ok. benchmark is going at 0-1 again! I cut off after a few seconds again. I think click "No overclocking", apply, ok. Run benchmark again and im still getting 0-1fps. Whats going on here? Anyone know?

On a related question that might be the solution... do you have to restart your computer after you change the clocks?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
3DMark05 is the most stressful 3D Benching program to date, even top end cards have trouble breaking 10fps on it, run 01 or 03 instead

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
welcome!!
well try som e newer drivers like the 66.93's or 66.77. u should try any of the newer/est ones because they have alot of fixes and should give better performance.
and u dont have to restart for clocks to apply

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No its not a performance issue... its being weird. Let me re-state what i did.

Im on driver A, no overclock, i get 4-5FPS.
Still on driver A, overclock about 5mhz, i get 1 FPS
Still on driver A, disable overclocking, i get 1 FPS

I did some more drivers, newer ones, and im still getting 1 FPS

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Actually, don't try the newer drivers. I used to use a 5950 as my daily gamer. Those cards are a little older, and will perform better with slightly older drivers. Might want to try the 61.50's or something like that. Also, the FX series cards do very poorly in 3dMark 05. This has been proven. Dont worry, it's still a very good card, and can play all games very well. Install some older drivers and run 3dMark 01 and 03. Run Aquamark also. Those will give you a better indication of your performance/overclock.

It has something to do with the FX series gpu's and the coding of '05. Don't fret, you're not alone.

Edit: AND WELCOME!!!!!

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i ran aquamark at 1024x768 and i got 5 FPS.... and a 'score' of 4951.

Are hte GFX and CPU # suppose to be close because i got 510 for GFx and 8123 for my CPU

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

Ok i ran aquamark at 1024x768 and i got 5 FPS.... and a 'score' of 4951.

Are hte GFX and CPU # suppose to be close because i got 510 for GFx and 8123 for my CPU

Ooohhh, no, something is seriously wrong. Can you post some detailed specs of the rest of your system, and we can go from there?

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok im on a water cooled...

P4 2.8ghz with HT (on)
Asus V9980 Ultra (5950 ultra) at 61.77 drivers
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Pro
Gigabyte 8KNXP
1GB Corsair XMS Series RAM
2 WD 10,000 RPM hard drives in Raid-0 both cooled
No processes up that would have done anything and im virus/spyware free

·
Registered
698 Posts
yeah im thinking driver conflict, did you uninstall the drivers before installing the new ones?

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha yah i was installign drivers like crazy to get the coolbits to work. And no id idnt uninstall before reinstalling... ill try that driver cleaner. Thanks guys

·
Registered
698 Posts
By George I think we got it! Try Driver Cleaner should work for ya.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait cleaner or collector? I looked at the main index and theres a Collector (the one u linked me to) and a Cleaner. Im gonna guess you just mislinked ior something

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denmor

Cleaner my good sir, cleaner

Exactly! Great program, just follow the instructions exactly in the "readme" file.

·
Registered
698 Posts
*takes a beer from Lando, chugs* it's been a long night, so sue me!

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It says in teh readme...

For nVidia users that are going to uninstall 45.** or newer:
Just follow the steps, but these are a few things you need to know and do before.
In Driver Cleaner goto the options and select the backup functions.
When you uninstalled the 45.** or higher before without problems than select the nvidia cleaning file.
If you uninstalled them before and got problems than select the nVidia cleaning file and in the options window by Cleaning Options, uncheck Registry.

Now i for some reason cant understand what there telling me... can someone put this in lamens terms?

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok its not a driver conflict. i cleaned my drivers and installed 66.93 and the 3dmark demo ran multiple times correctly. I then instaleld coolbits and it still worked. Now heres what happened...

I right click on the desktp, bring up the properties, went to settings, then advance.
Screen goes off and back on real quick
I go to the overclocking tab and i clicked hte overclocking text and it goes off and back on real quick again
I try 3dmark and my graphics are dead again going at 0 FPS. I didnt actually touch the sliders... it was still set on "No overclocking"...

So the problem seems to be when the screen flickered on me. Does anyone have a clue what might be going on here?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts