Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup folks!

I'm moving to the Philippines next year and i wanted to build a rig that could possibly withstand 85 to 105 degrees Celsius.

My Current wish list:
Case: Corsair 650D
Mobo: Asus Z77 Sabertooth
CPU: i7 3770k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i + push pull configuration with 2 Cougar vortexes
Power Supply: Seasonic 750w
Video Card: Evga 670 Siganture 2 possibly SLI if by the end of the year i can pull it off

i was also planning on removing the detachable drive cages on the case to improve airflow and maybe even adding 2 x 120mm fans where the cages used to be.

i'm not planning on overclocking and i would be hard pressed to be able to afford a custom liquid cooling system. Replacement parts will also be hard to come by so i really need a durable setup that could possibly last for 3 to 5 years.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,089 Posts
I live in the PH and I can tell you that the H100i or H220 would be better for the 3770k based on reviews and actual performance I've seen here (at least for the H100i). The H80i does an admirable job but it's a high FPI radiator (20fpi if I'm not mistaken) and needs a high pressure fan to get cool temps. So it does tend to get noisy unless you have your AC on at all times where your PC will be and the pump and fans don't need to be set at a higher setting to keep things cool.

Personally, I would get an H220 (on pre-order for me now) so I can expand it down the road. With a 650D you could add another 240 rad, which the pump on the H220 can easily handle. It would also be a cheaper option than getting an H80i or H100i and then deciding that those aren't giving you cool enough temps and then decide to upgrade. Trust me some NH-D14s suffer here when ambient temps start to rise past 90*F and even the H80i beats it out when cooling IVY.

As for the mobo, I would get a different board because the sabretooth only has a true VRM phase count of 4. Why not get the P8Z77-V Pro version instead, it has more VRM phase count (6), which should handle an OC better.

Here's a link that shows the different type of VRMs and Mosfets each board manufacturer has.

Sin's Hardware VRM List

·
Registered
925 Posts
I would be worrying less about the heat and more about the humidity. In Aus it gets in excess of 40 degrees and my system's still fine, but if a single drop of water gets in your system it probably'll collapse instantly.

Also, I would invest in a good air conditioner. I lived in Singapore for a few years and I wouldn't have survived without mine.
smile.gif

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,089 Posts
Case and PSU is fine IMHO, that can defintely handle a 670 even in SLI.

The fans on the H100i are decent but the Helix fans work really well with the H220 and are very quiet, so if you choose either one, I don't think you need to swap them out. Unless you really want quiet than I've seen people swap out the corsair fans for something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

I live in the PH and I can tell you that the H100i or H220 would be better for the 3770k based on reviews and actual performance I've seen here (at least for the H100i). The H80i does an admirable job but it's a high FPI radiator (20fpi if I'm not mistaken) and needs a high pressure fan to get cool temps. So it does tend to get noisy unless you have your AC on at all times where your PC will be and the pump and fans don't need to be set at a higher setting to keep things cool.

Personally, I would get an H220 (on pre-order for me now) so I can expand it down the road. With a 650D you could add another 240 rad, which the pump on the H220 can easily handle. It would also be a cheaper option than getting an H80i or H100i and then deciding that those aren't giving you cool enough temps and then decide to upgrade. Trust me some NH-D14s suffer here when ambient temps start to rise past 90*F and even the H80i beats it out when cooling IVY.

As for the mobo, I would get a different board because the sabretooth only has a true VRM phase count of 4. Why not get the P8Z77-V Pro version instead, it has more VRM phase count (6), which should handle an OC better.

Here's a link that shows the different type of VRMs and Mosfets each board manufacturer has.

Sin's Hardware VRM List
I was bouncing around either the h80i or the h100i their almost the same price so it should't be a problem with that one. with the motherboard though, i'll trade off some OC headroom for temperature monitoring plus two little down draft fans. i'm not really planning on OCing when i get there or just a slight OC.

I looked up the H220 and it seems to be running at around par with the H80i and its a bit pricier.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagkaman View Post

I would be worrying less about the heat and more about the humidity. In Aus it gets in excess of 40 degrees and my system's still fine, but if a single drop of water gets in your system it probably'll collapse instantly.

Also, I would invest in a good air conditioner. I lived in Singapore for a few years and I wouldn't have survived without mine.
smile.gif
i'll definitely took up if humidity will be a factor.

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odontoid View Post

I was bouncing around either the h80i or the h100i their almost the same price so it should't be a problem with that one. with the motherboard though, i'll trade off some OC headroom for temperature monitoring plus two little down draft fans. i'm not really planning on OCing when i get there or just a slight OC.

I looked up the H220 and it seems to be running at around par with the H80i and its a bit pricier.

Thanks for the tips.
I'd check out martinsliquidlab.org for a more accurate review, IMHO it is the most accurate review of the H220 or any other water cooling kit. I doubt that the H80i (or the H100i for that matter) can run another rad and a couple of GPU waterblocks (The H220 can). The pump of the H220 can run at 1 gpm while the Corsair units run around .025 gpm which isn't enough except for a 240 rad.

You also have to take into account noise it produces, for the money I'd take the H220 that can pump water faster since I have more headroom versus a pump which is very limited (meaning less noise since the pump won't be as stressed or working hard).

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Living in Florida, I can tell you it will be a miserable experience.

With it being 95F outside, when I'm gaming, my rig can easily bring the room temperature upwards of 90F with the AC blowing 78F air.

Your hardware will be fine however, it's built to the take the heat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

I'd check out martinsliquidlab.org for a more accurate review, IMHO it is the most accurate review of the H220 or any other water cooling kit. I doubt that the H80i (or the H100i for that matter) can run another rad and a couple of GPU waterblocks (The H220 can). The pump of the H220 can run at 1 gpm while the Corsair units run around .025 gpm which isn't enough except for a 240 rad.

You also have to take into account noise it produces, for the money I'd take the H220 that can pump water faster since I have more headroom versus a pump which is very limited (meaning less noise since the pump won't be as stressed or working hard).
Yeah dude i am really impressed on the expandable design of the H220 and it's build quality (using copper fins) but we'll have to see when it comes out and gets into more peoples hands if it really does perform better. As seen here the H80i pretty much ties it.

with the H220 fans though they look quite impressive satic pressure fans, i just prefer the Cougar Vortexes for aesthetics.

Will humidity be an issue as the other dude mentioned?

·
Registered
925 Posts
It shouldn't be that much of an issue as long as you don't leave your computer in the open air (or equivalent).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts