Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my BlackWidow with Blues and love it. Now I'm craving to try every switch type and get a collection of these keyboards
redface.gif
I was thinking of trying Red's since they seem to be the complete opposite of Blues. Or I was going to find a Model M on Ebay or buy a Unicomp with Buckling Springs. Any unique/rare switch types? Like I heard of Cherry MX Green.

I don't plan on getting it soon but what should I try next. My fingers are hungry.

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts
Heh, welcome to the addiction.

Just try out every and any switch type you can get, that way, it's both a collection and hunt for your favorite and most preferred switch type
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Haha good luck keeping a healthy wallet!
biggrin.gif
BTW, I appreciate your french language skills!
smile.gif

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmen View Post

Haha good luck keeping a healthy wallet!
biggrin.gif
BTW, I appreciate your french language skills!
smile.gif
My signature? Sorry but I know like three words of French. I was listening to Weird Al's parody of Born This Way when I made my account so I just put that in my signature
tongue.gif
. I wish I had more money, I was originally going to get a Ducky off TigerImports but I was one dollar short and couldn't get a dollar out of any of my friends on Steam and had to get the Black Widow from TigerDirect.

Oh, and. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_BmTGv43M

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Crumples View Post

Any unique/rare switch types? Like I heard of Cherry MX Green.
Well, in switches that are available, clears are the rarest; for instance, I think only Leopold makes keyboards with them without some sort of custom request or do-it-yourself mod. Greens are blues with black springs in them if I remember correctly and I think they only exist on old Cherry brand keyboards or through custom mods now.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff78 View Post

Well, in switches that are available, clears are the rarest; for instance, I think only Leopold makes keyboards with them without some sort of custom request or do-it-yourself mod. Greens are blues with black springs in them if I remember correctly and I think they only exist on old Cherry brand keyboards or through custom mods now.
What does the black spring do to the switch?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:

What does the black spring do to the switch?
It essentially makes it a really stiff blue. The main complaints about the blacks are the mushy extension as a result of no feedback at actuation. Clears are almost as stiff and have tactile feedback, but the black springs on the blues provide both auditory and tactile cues, and since they are stiff, it makes it easier to stop yourself at actuation, eliminating the "mushiness" but still allowing you to use a stiff "typing" switch.

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
I am the same way. I went through like 7 boards/switches since october trying to find the perfect switch and board combo. I realized I like multiple. So I ended up with three tenkeyless boards. With browns,blues,reds. In order of preference. And I have just been rotating them as I enjoy typing on all of them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citra View Post

Your avatar is perfect.
> My face when Mechanical Keyboard

Okay, so I decided for my birthday I'm going to find a used Model M on eBay.

Do I need to do anything special for it to work on Windows 7 (any sort of PS/2 adapter I will need?)

·
Registered
991 Posts
i too am addicted, as a matter of fact i just ordered a Race keyboard from the Geekhack Group Buy.

Currently in my possession are:

1 Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blacks
A KBC Poker with reds and pbt keys
a ducky 9008g2 with blacks and pbt keys
a ducky 9008g2 with browns
a razer blackwidow

and on the way is a kbc poker with browns and white pbt keys

im trying to get rid of the duckys which are barely used in order to fund my addiction lol

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post

I am the same way. I went through like 7 boards/switches since october trying to find the perfect switch and board combo. I realized I like multiple. So I ended up with three tenkeyless boards. With browns,blues,reds. In order of preference. And I have just been rotating them as I enjoy typing on all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post

i too am addicted, as a matter of fact i just ordered a Race keyboard from the Geekhack Group Buy.
Currently in my possession are:
1 Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blacks
A KBC Poker with reds and pbt keys
a ducky 9008g2 with blacks and pbt keys
a ducky 9008g2 with browns
a razer blackwidow
and on the way is a kbc poker with browns and white pbt keys
im trying to get rid of the duckys which are barely used in order to fund my addiction lol
If I find out what switch type I like the most I might get a Ducky Shine with that type
thumb.gif

I feel bad for my blackwidow though, Less then a month of use and I'm already planning to get another
mad.gif
Do they have a tenkeyless Shine?

Are buckling springs any good for gaming?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:

If I find out what switch type I like the most I might get a Ducky Shine with that type
thumb.gif

I feel bad for my blackwidow though, Less then a month of use and I'm already planning to get another
mad.gif
Do they have a tenkeyless Shine?
Are buckling springs any good for gaming?
Ducky Shines are only availible in full.

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
Quote:

> My face when Mechanical Keyboard
Okay, so I decided for my birthday I'm going to find a used Model M on eBay.
Do I need to do anything special for it to work on Windows 7 (any sort of PS/2 adapter I will need?)
You will more than likely need an AT to PS/2 adapter.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=AT+to+PS/2+adapter&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8676318593260315635&sa=X&ei=Q5QbT9m2C_TWiAKPx4zXCA&ved=0CG8Q8gIwBQ

Don't spill milk on your Model M like I did!

·
Premium Member
5,990 Posts
I think the blues are the worst to start on because you get used to the clickiness and the tactile feedback. None of the others are like this and you might end up feeling like you're bored by the rest of the switches. I went from Blue to Brown and back to Blue. I also used the Red somewhere in there and felt like none of them was as fun as the blatant TICK that the Blues make.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:

I got my BlackWidow with Blues and love it. Now I'm craving to try every switch type and get a collection of these keyboards
redface.gif
I was thinking of trying Red's since they seem to be the complete opposite of Blues. Or I was going to find a Model M on Ebay or buy a Unicomp with Buckling Springs. Any unique/rare switch types? Like I heard of Cherry MX Green.
I don't plan on getting it soon but what should I try next. My fingers are hungry.
I guess I must be lucky SOB then, started all good with brand new Meka G1 and then a week later I see C and D letter becoming grayish,I returned back the meka to Amazon and by some lucky I found the Unicomp space saver for $45 (6 months old) shipped trough a forum. In mean time before the Unicomp arives my G15 that I had gotten 2 year warranty(god knows why...) started acting out and I took it to best buy and they gave me credit of $70. So the same best buy that I took it back had the only Black Widow Ultimate with few scraches on the arrow keys since they are exposed trough the packaged box. They said they will give me 20% discount and with the store credit it will cost me only $40. So since I dont need anything else and I though I was without a keyboard at the moment I took the plunge and paid the $40. Got home and just to see that my Unicomp waits in front of my door LOL. So I ended up with 2 keyboards for $85,one new, the other looks like new and performs like new.

I hate to say this but between the MEka G1 (MX Black) and the Widow (MX blue) and the Unicomp, the unicomp is louder than all but the feeling of typing on buckle springs is just totally different story. I like the Unicomp most out them all,I type and game on it, so far no 2NKRO issues,amazing keyboard.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh, the joys of mechanical keyboards!

I too, purchased my first mechanical keyboard with MX Blue switches (Das Keyboard) about a half a year ago and it is pleasure both to my fingers AND ears
thumb.gif
Programming on Blues is VERY satisfying for some reason (makes me feel [email protected]$$...i know, i can be a geek
tongue.gif
). Gaming on it is pretty great as well, imo, however it can be a tiny bit of a hassle when communicating via voice chat. People on the other end tend to complain about the noise my keyboard makes, but on my end I'm just smiling away
biggrin.gif

I've been tempted buy a board with MX Blacks, as I really like those switches for FPS games...

My poor wallet...An ongoing video card addiction and now this...
tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 39 Posts