Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Antec EA-650 continuous power supply in my rig (see specs)

I had an f-in headache of a week with BSODs (error 124) and after 6 reinstalls, playing with ide ahci memory drivers returning SSDs and blaming sandforce etc... it turns out the stupid asus bios had its automatic overclocking screwing up everything. So now I have my 1090T back to its stock of 3.2 and it seems stable.

First part - Is my PSU good enough for my system.

Second Part - Can I OC my 1090T without BSODs? I assume I can and the only reason it wasnt working before is because asus screwed it all up for me in its auto settings. (the whole reason I bought this board and CPU was to auto OC and not worry about the settings)
I won't ask any OCing questions here, I will leave that for the right forum.

Third part - I love you.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverpoointheeye;15306989

I had an f-in headache of a week with BSODs (error 124) and after 6 reinstalls, playing with ide ahci memory drivers returning SSDs and blaming sandforce etc... it turns out the stupid asus bios had its automatic overclocking screwing up everything. So now I have my 1090T back to its stock of 3.2 and it seems stable.

Second Part - Can I OC my 1090T without BSODs? I assume I can and the only reason it wasnt working before is because asus screwed it all up for me in its auto settings. (the whole reason I bought this board and CPU was to auto OC and not worry about the settings)

Third part - I love you.
I run a 2500k and a gtx480 on a 520 watt psu
wink.gif
You have enough juice and then some.

• Rep+
Reactions: neverpoointheeye

·
Registered
914 Posts
First 650w PSU is more than enough. Second definitely you can OC a 1090T and Have it be stable I'm at 4GHz now stable for over 5 hours at full load. At 3.8GHz I've gone 57 hours at close to full load and no issues you just need to find the right combination of settings. But don't run the auto OC it messes things up and gets pretty volt happy with the Vcore. Also I have found that the Vengeance sticks don't like ref clocks above about 235-236MHz.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so my PSU can support all the voltage needs for an OC etc?

The reason I ask is because I want to make sure that the issue was with the BIOS settings. I am almost 100% that it is the BIOS but I want to rule out all other possibilities before the 30-day return policy is up (I dont want to mail out a PSU for RMA)

Thanks for the lighting fast reply, I think I almost had a seizure.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverpoointheeye;15307053
ok so my PSU can support all the voltage needs for an OC etc?
Unless your psu is faulty, you can cross it off your list.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSP1;15307051
First 650w PSU is more than enough. Second definitely you can OC a 1090T and Have it be stable I'm at 4GHz now stable for over 5 hours at full load. At 3.8GHz I've gone 57 hours at close to full load and no issues you just need to find the right combination of settings. But don't run the auto OC it messes things up and gets pretty volt happy with the Vcore. Also I have found that the Vengeance sticks don't like ref clocks above about 235-236MHz.
This maybe a noobish question...
Have you had any issues with power saving modes with that much of an OC? I would still like to utilize the Windows power save modes as I will no longer use ANY tool Asus provides (EPU)
The reason I ask is because I don't want a massive power bill per month as I like to leave my PC on all the time.

I'm still new to this whole OC process so I am not sure what the ref clocks are as I dont see it in the BIOS but I need to do more reading.
I will now keep an eye out to ensure I don't go above it.
It's nice to see you have the vengence sticks and the 1090T as well.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
You can never have enough juice.

In all seriousness, you should have no problems with your power supply, and you'd probably be fine even with SLI.

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neverpoointheeye
View Post

Third part - I love you.

First part, error code x124 is "increase vcore" so your overclock is unstable due to only using autoOC. Don't use AutoOC because all your going to do is BSOD and corrupt your OS which is why you've had to reinstall so many times.

Second part, if you overclock manually and get a stable overclock then your chances of BSOD are slim unless your doing it wrong. Deneb/thuban are simple to overclock, your best off learning how to do it manually

Third part, ILYT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow great info peeps!
I always drink enough juice, Cant go a day without it.

Time to do some research, Thanks for all the help. I am sure I will be asking more soon enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts