Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to reinstall windows 10 three times the last month because my system broke after updates. The first issue was after an update my antivirus decided to stop working and my system started to act real strange so i did a system restore and could not log into windows again. second reinstall was after another update a week ago. as soon as i got into windows i would get a flickering screen that would not let me do anything. safemode worked fine and i attempted a number of fixes and gave up and reinstalled. now last night at some time windows did another stupid update and now microsoft edge is not working. not that i give a damn about edge but it seems that without edge nothing works. i cant use the search function or create any user accounts and i just hate to have a broken os because i dont trully know what else could be messed up so it apears that i might need to reinstall again. I am starting to get sick of it.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
A fresh install of Win 10 has made my PC more stable. I have no more crashes. I also have 4 installs on 4 different drives on one rig, no issues at all...maybe a drive issue?

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i think that i fixed it. it has taken me over 2 hours trying different things from all over the place to get this thing running again. sorry for the rant but i never had this much issues with any version of windows before.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhil2 View Post

A fresh install of Win 10 has made my PC more stable. I have no more crashes. I also have 4 installs on 4 different drives on one rig, no issues at all...maybe a drive issue?
the os drive is a fairly new ssd. it has about 5 or 6 months. the version of windows is also a fresh install.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post

the os drive is a fairly new ssd. it has about 5 or 6 months. the version of windows is also a fresh install.
Happy to hear that you solved your issues,..
thumb.gif

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by axizor View Post

Welcome to the "future" of Windows.
Bro, come'on. We've all used enough OS to know they all have their quirks. Windows 7 would refuse to run DX11 games in fullscreen for me half the time in spite of multiple OS installs.. It also had the habit of telling me a game was using high resources because of Aero. Act like you've used more then one PC. Have none of those issues on Windows 10. Though, I do have new issues that creep up such as some games being played @ 4k causes my task bar to become invisible after exit. Always something.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try get the latest iso from microsoft for a new install once i build a new pc or a large 1tb ssd. I just dont want to reinstall windows again for a few months. I hate downloading all my games. Takes for ever.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnatan8 View Post

Is that maybe Enterprise edition? I've heard some issues like this with Enterprise.
Nope its windows 10 home.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Bro, come'on. We've all used enough OS to know they all have their quirks. Windows 7 would refuse to run DX11 games in fullscreen for me half the time in spite of multiple OS installs.. It also had the habit of telling me a game was using high resources because of Aero. Act like you've used more then one PC. Have none of those issues on Windows 10. Though, I do have new issues that creep up such as some games being played @ 4k causes my task bar to become invisible after exit. Always something.
I'm typing this reply on my 2015 Macbook Pro Retina running OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan... happy?

I don't care about DirectX anymore, I simply don't have the time to play video games between work and school now like I used to.

I don't like the way Microsoft has forced Windows 10 onto their largest install base. I don't like how I have to run a third party app on my computer to keep the Windows 10 crap from automatically installing itself and the countless number of updates related to it. I don't like always on tracking or key logging so Microsoft can force ads they think are relevant to me on my start screen. Nor do I like having to configure almost all of the privacy settings just so I can feel somewhat safer when in reality, it solves little and often gets re-enabled somehow anyways. I shouldn't have to install third party programs to make my OS work like a desktop OS.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Other than the Windows Store being useless except for Netflix's excellent App, I find Win10 to be the most stable Windows version I used. Of course I have all the NSA spying stuff turned off as best I can.

That said, MS anti-consumer practices are beyond wrong and I don't think I'll give them money in the future unless I can't avoid it.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post

Other than the Windows Store being useless except for Netflix's excellent App, I find Win10 to be the most stable Windows version I used. Of course I have all the NSA spying stuff turned off as best I can.

That said, MS anti-consumer practices are beyond wrong and I don't think I'll give them money in the future unless I can't avoid it.
it runs good and stable no crashing. the windows store is pretty lame and all the other privacy issues that it brings sucks too but i dont have anything to hide so i dont really care. i just want to play my games and have the pointless direct x 12 which will eventually have its purpose. my issue is just after some updates. well see how it goes. this time i was able to fix it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Speaking of updates, you may want to disable your PC from being a Windows Update P2P host server to the public world (enabled by default): http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

I'm all for P2P, but for distributing OS updates... eh, no thanks. I have no idea what the impact is on upload bandwidth, but I remember hearing some people complain when it (prematurely) launched.

For the record, I run a Windows 10 VM on my Mac and also have it installed on a Venue 8 Pro. Not a Windows hater by any means...

·
WaterCooler & Overclocker
2,590 Posts
Quote:

I will try get the latest iso from microsoft for a new install once i build a new pc or a large 1tb ssd. I just dont want to reinstall windows again for a few months. I hate downloading all my games. Takes for ever.
I run two SSDs, one for Windows and programs and one just for games.

Just unplug the games SSD when re-installing windows on the main SSD. When completed, plug your games SSD back in and you're good to go.
thumb.gif

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I didnt add any new hardware. I just dont know what causes the issues but its been running fine. I left the system on overnight and everything is fine today. I will need to wait for the next update.

Barefooter i just run a single ssd for the os and some games that take avantage of the ssd like bf4 which takes a while to load and then the rest of my steam and origin library are on a 2tb hard drive. i never disconnected it when i installed windows but maybe i will next time. i think i will eliminate the hard drive all together in the future and get a large capacity ssd.

·
WaterCooler & Overclocker
2,590 Posts
Quote:

No I didnt add any new hardware. I just dont know what causes the issues but its been running fine. I left the system on overnight and everything is fine today. I will need to wait for the next update.

Barefooter i just run a single ssd for the os and some games that take avantage of the ssd like bf4 which takes a while to load and then the rest of my steam and origin library are on a 2tb hard drive. i never disconnected it when i installed windows but maybe i will next time. i think i will eliminate the hard drive all together in the future and get a large capacity ssd.
I always recommend disconnecting all SSDs and hard drives except the OS drive when installing windows. If you ever remove/replace your existing hard drive, your windows will not work without a reinstall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts