Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expensive after market sounds cards.. why? I'm assuming some have different I/O's to meet the users needs. But I have an 15 year old Sony surround sound system hooked to the onboard sound card on my Asus, and I think it sounds great.

What I'm asking is, what is the reason to spend $100 on a sound card? Not smack talking about those that do that, just wondering. I would be more likely to redirect those funds into something else for the rig.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz
View Post

Because your 15 year old sound system is all you know. The audio will be better with a sound card, you just don't know it yet.

+1.

I thought the same way until I finally bought my X-FI Titanium HD Sound card. I was originally using my onboard sound with my G35 headphones and IMO it sounded great but after reading through Audio threads here on the forums, I was convinced to give sound cards a shot....so I did. I bought the Titanium HD sound card along with Audio-Technica ATH-M50s headphones and the difference was night and day. Everything just sounded better and more clear. It also seems like im hearing stuff in games that I never could hear before.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
You should get a Newer mobo with a creative chip and a Quad core (will rip what you got a new hole). I struggled with that same question I upgraded to a x6 and a 990FX and have had Great Success! But then i found a great deal on a sound card and bought it
... come to find out for my "headphones" I need a amp ... and so i am going to sink another XXX$$$ on a amp ... not a big deal i just did not know lol. And if your Old system has a AMP (assuming is does or you would not be able to push your floors) Then just get a newmobo and cpu and you will be 100% more satisfied

Just my 00.02$ from doing this about 4 months ago
Hope it helps!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose that makes sense. I do remember back in the day when I bought the Sound Blaster Live! when it first came out, along with the Cambridge Works 4.1 package. That was a step up from whatever the hell I had at the time. Maybe I will go but a new sound card just to see.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jackedup,

Yeah it really is time for me to uprgade. It's just hard to make myself part with the money when this machine is completly functional and does everything that I require of it.

·
MegaTechPC
19,220 Posts
I honestly have no idea why people buy expensive sound cards. Seems like a huge waste of money to me, but then again I'm sure my video cards seem like a huge waste of money to others. Different strokes I guess.

·
Banned
3,644 Posts
My Asus Xonar ST cost me almost 200$ but it was well worth it for the built in headphone amp and analogue RCA outputs that I use to plug into my surround sound setup. It made a huge differance.

In starcraft 2 I can clearly hear my SCV's welding and all the birds and wildlife making noises which I couldent hear before.

·
I lieks teh cheese
2,098 Posts
Sound is just as important as graphics to me
I love my STX, it was a good upgrade from my DS. Right now my rig is incomplete and it sucks having to hear my music through this crappy laptops integrated sound

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by james_ant
View Post

My Asus Xonar ST cost me almost 200$ but it was well worth it for the built in headphone amp and analogue RCA outputs that I use to plug into my surround sound setup. It made a huge differance.

In starcraft 2 I can clearly hear my SCV's welding and all the birds and wildlife making noises which I couldent hear before.

I wish i had bought these first. He has the right idea! But you need to make sure you also buy a pair of headphones that will use this power...

KICKING my self in the but right now**** dont do what i did an buy something u need to buy an amp too .... so i would get these man ... gezz!!!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric
View Post

I honestly have no idea why people buy expensive sound cards. Seems like a huge waste of money to me, but then again I'm sure my video cards seem like a huge waste of money to others. Different strokes I guess.

actually the investment of your 2 580's save you money in the long run for any further upgrades video card wise soo not a waste of money and you play at very high resolutions utilizing the 2 580's again not a waste of money, personally i agree with you i never use sound cards cause i can hear anything and everything via motherboard sound inputs even faint sfx and voices that pop up, and sound quality i don't care about really aslong as i can hear im happy..

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Sound cards have higher signal-to-noise ratio. This has the effect of making the sound louder and clearer, with less noise.

Also, some onboard sound solutions on motherboards are poorly designed and have bad feedback and noise. Sometimes they pick up the noise when you move your mouse. Having a discrete sound card eliminates most of this noise.

If you are satisfied with onboard sound, that is fine and good. People tend to purchase a sound card if they want more features (like Dolby, DTS, etc.) or they have more expensive sound equipment.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
OK this is what i would tell u to buy Mobo and CPU wize (also alows you to to upgrade to NEW NEW CPU's and then put all the fun stuff in
... how to fund your CPU??? Sell ur mobo and ram and CPU CL or here)

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131767
100$ Gigby

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128521
100$ Asus

Cpu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103698
37$ (I have this CPU in my WHS and i unlocked the second CPU no problems, you can over clock this thing very easly and not haev any problems or keep it stock but u can keep it in there till u are ready to get a x6 or x8 core
)

And that mobo will push sound better then you got right now ... not to much better but you should be able to tell
And you can keep everythign else exept for ram ....

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231428
8gb 59$ free flash drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226091
2gb 17$

Or just keep what you got, but this set up will alow you to in a year or two or what ever to got more out of what you got or even longer!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by h2on0
View Post

I run hdmi from my video cards to my a/v reciever. Do you think I would get better sound if I ran it from a sound card to my reciever?

Do you have multichannel inputs on your receiver?

Although I doubt the output stage of any PC sound card is going to surpass the receiver's; too much EMI and other crap leaking into the line-out.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
This guy is sending a direct digital signal to his receiver. The receiver is doing all the audio processing thank you very much.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric;14195242
You're video cards don't seem like a waste of money to me at all.
biggrin.gif

However, I would still throw down the cash for a high end soundcard on top of that.

My current situation is that, due to a gross oversight on my part, I went from a high end SC to onboard. I'm trying to come up with a good analogy for what it's like. I essentially went from crisp, clear sound to muddy, muffled sound. What I used to be able to do at 1/4 volume now requires 1/2 or more.

As soon as I decide on what my next sound card will be, I will cheerfully shell out the cash for it.

If you haven't had a soundcard yet, then all I can say is you don't know what you're missing. However, the soundcard is only as good as the speakers it plays through. So if you have low end or worn out speaker, then it doesn't matter how much you spend on the soundcard, it still wont sound good.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts