Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I recently got a Rebel XS to begin learning photography and I love it. I don't have any complaints about the camera ( at least with my current level of skill ) except that I can't shoot video. At first I was willing to accept that the XS couldn't shoot video because I told myself that I was going to be concentrating on strictly still photography but it really annoys me that I have this nice camera with a nice lens but it just can't take video. I even have the PC program that allows you to record video via the USB live-view hack but I am going to want to take video when I am away from my computer so that tool is really a novelty piece to me.

So with that said, I am thinking about trading in my XS + ~$100 for the T3. The T3 is the only thing that is going to be in my budget at least for now because I am about to move to China and my money is super tight. My question is would it be worth it to do the upgrade? If not, then maybe I will keep my XS and buy a simple Flip video recorder or something just to have the option.

Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Personally I would save up a bit more and change your XS (1000D) in for the T2i (550D).

A swap for the T3 will give you video functionality and also slightly better still performance but I don't think its worth the $100 price tag. Whereas if you save up a bit more and get the T2i you get 1080p video and still performance that is substantially better in comparison to the XS. Personally having come from the XS I can assure you of that.

Depending on what you shoot primarily the T2i will give you a lot more headroom before you feel the itch to upgrade your camera body. On top of this the T2i currently has great support for third party firmware whereas the T3i is still a work in progress. http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

I won't explain all the features of Magic Lantern but I will say that it is truly a useful piece of firmware to have on your camera as it adds a lot of functionality to the camera.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Whoa dude, don't trade in your XS in the loyalty program.
eek.gif

They will value your xs the same as a broken point and shoot.

Buy a broken canon point and shoot off of ebay or something if you want to use the canon loyalty program. You still get the same discount off their refurbished models.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxthorn View Post

Whoa dude, don't trade in your XS in the loyalty program.
eek.gif

They will value your xs the same as a broken point and shoot.
Buy a broken canon point and shoot off of ebay or something if you want to use the canon loyalty program. You still get the same discount off their refurbished models.
This.

A broken point and shoot that you can get for $20 is worth the same with the Canon Loyalty Program as your XS. I would do as boxthron says and then sell your XS locally to save money.

And yeah I also agree go for the T2i over the T3.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
The short version: save your money -- get the flip recorder, keep the XS and get a nice piece of glass to put on it to treat yourself for making the right choice.

The long version:

How often are you going to lug a DSLR around to capture video? Enough to make it worth while? If you dont have something scheduled where you want a high quality DSLR for video (let's say, for blogging), then a flip camera will be more than fine, more portable, allows you to keep a perfectly capable DSLR for photos when you do want to carry it around, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts