Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm getting about $650 US soon, so I'm gonna upgrade my pc. I'm gonna get a new motherboard, a new graphics card, and 1gb of ram, and a new case(for my graduation pc, and here's where I stand:

I don't know of any really good socket 478 mobos out there, most of em are discontinued. I'm thinking an MSI Neo2, or a asus p4p800se. I hear one of the p4p800's, I think its the deluxe, will fry if you connect the front usb ports to it.

Graphics card's gonna be an x1600pro, because the price/performance is pretty good.

I'm gonna buy the black antec p180, along with a new heatsink, maybe the xp90c.

as far as RAM goes...well I'm not sure. I don't want 200 dollar ram sticks like corsair XMS or something like that, I want something down the middle, preferably 150 or less, and in dual channel kits(2x512mb)

....and IF I have some money left over, I want to find a 2.4A prescott cpu, if anyone has one that they'd be willing to get rid of, I might buy it off of em, or if a store has one for a really good price, I'll look into it.

So, if you guys could, gimme some suggestions on the things that I'm not too sure about.

~ch13f121

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Why do you want a socket 478? Why not get the 775? More options with better mobos...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha good question, well because then I can't afford all that I want to afford, I think its simply out of my budget
but if you want to suggest some stuff, then go right ahead(775 motherboards etc.)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Well, the Pentium 4 HT 3.0 is an adequate processor for ~$180
and a good mobo could be the Asus P5WD2 ~$150
Memory: GeIL Value 2x 512 MB sticks for ~$100
But that would leave you with about $150 for a graphics card, not enough for nice case... but there are plenty of options to tinker with...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also forgot to mention that I'm getting a whole new rig for graduation...which will most likely consist of intel's new conroe, and some much much better stuff(because I'm getting about 1500-2000 to spend on it) which is mainly why I want to go cheap and upgrade this pc in my profile

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I see... you could always get better cooling and overclock the processor you have... keep the mobo... maybe a new PSU.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If you're getting $1500-$2000 on a new rig then why not go all out and get an awesome rig

EDIT: Save the $650 and put it toward the added money you'll get for graudation and get a new 7900GTX, granted it 3 more months but you're just going to waste the $650 for cheap stuff if you're buying better stuff later, just save it

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKraken

I see... you could always get better cooling and overclock the processor you have... keep the mobo... maybe a new PSU.

haha I do have it overclocked...the little overclocker inside wants MORE. I have it at 3ghz, I can push it to 3.3ghz, but it fails occt. I'm wanting a mobo with an intel chipset(I have a via pt880 right now), so I can lock the pci/agp, and push it even higher. The psu is fine imo, from the voltage readings its doing really well. 18a on the 12v rail is pretty good, and you can't beat pre-sleeved cables

And gator, that's what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna buy the black p180(which is about 150 or something) for my new rig, stick my stuff I got now in it. But this pc is gonna be my brothers, and I don't want to give him a pos(not to mention if mine goes awry, I can use his and still be able to pwn
)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts