Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Voltage support has been added to MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 7. Skip these steps and download beta 7 from here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/msi_afterburner_beta_download.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mates Rates View Post

Voltage control can be unlocked for the 7870 Tahiti Cards by following these simple steps.

1. Navigate to your MSI Afterburner installation folder.

\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner

2. Open RTCore.cfg

3. Find the line bestowing the following:

RV1070 = 6798h,679Ah

and change it to:

RV1070 = 6798h,679Ah,679Eh

4. Navigate to your MSI Afterburner installation folder. And open the folder labeled 'Profiles'

\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles

5. Open VEN_xxxxxx.cfg

6. Under settings add the following:

[Settings]
VDDC_CHL8228_Detection = 6:30h
VDDC_CHL8228_Defaults = C8 88
VDDC_CHL8228_VIDReadback = 0

7. In MSI Afterburner enable the following:

Unlock voltage control
Unlock voltage monitoring

8. Restart your computer and Afterburner should now display your voltage value.

PROOF

·
GPU Enthusiast
2,568 Posts
too many tabs open wrong thread
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
So will this force constant voltage on these cards 24/7? What's the default voltage for the 7870 XT and what's a overclocking voltage for normal usage?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBombzor View Post

So will this force constant voltage on these cards 24/7? What's the default voltage for the 7870 XT and what's a overclocking voltage for normal usage?
Yes it forces constant voltage 24/7. Default voltage according to afterburner after a reset is 1156. It's a Tahiti based card, same chip inside the 7900 series. The folks who own those cards recommend staying under 1.25v as a safe 24/7 oc.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBombzor View Post

Yes it forces constant voltage 24/7. Default voltage according to afterburner after a reset is 1156. It's a Tahiti based card, same chip inside the 7900 series. The folks who own those cards recommend staying under 1.25v as a safe 24/7 oc.
Meh I think I'll stick to stock voltages. My card was already running hot at stock and it already sucks a lot of power.

Nice guide. +rep

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With this setting set to 1

VDDC_CHL8228_VIDReadback = 1

MSI Afterburner reports the TARGET voltage. To force afterburner to report REAL voltage change 1 to 0

VDDC_CHL8228_VIDReadback = 0

I have updated OP

As you can see afterburner now reports the same voltage as gpu-z

ViQQGdR.png

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
whatare the chances that anyone knows how hes getting at the increased target voltage?

Im trying to get Aida64 to add this as a monitor item, but the ADL functions only return the stock Target VID, not the changed one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This latest msi afterburner with voltage support made my cards unstable. could' nt even do 1150mhz core clock with out my screen freezing and driver stop working. I was able to do 1221 core stable on 3.0.0 beta 5. max vddc showing in hwinfo is 1.256v and somehow gpu-z shows 1.188v on load.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HmoobYaj87 View Post

This latest msi afterburner with voltage support made my cards unstable. could' nt even do 1150mhz core clock with out my screen freezing and driver stop working. I was able to do 1221 core stable on 3.0.0 beta 5. max vddc showing in hwinfo is 1.256v and somehow gpu-z shows 1.188v on load.
That would be vdroop. I raise my voltage to compensate for it. Lower your voltage and it will be lower than 1.188v on load. Also afterburner is reporting the REAL voltage, whilst hwinfo is reporting the TARGET voltage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkoXan View Post

which manufacture PowerColor or Sapphire have the CHL8225 Regulators?
redface.gif
mentions XT and only Sapphire is known as the XT
redface.gif
They both do.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Quote:

That would be vdroop. I raise my voltage to compensate for it. Lower your voltage and it will be lower than 1.188v on load. Also afterburner is reporting the REAL voltage, whilst hwinfo is reporting the TARGET voltage.
They both do.
does HWinfo report non stock target? or just ADL stock?

AB can be changed to display target instead of measured.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just downloaded MSI AF 3.0.0 beta9 and was curious as to what benefits (or damage) I can get by increasing the voltage? I currently have a Powercolor XT and plan to get a second one when they are back in stock. Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.