Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i opend my comp to look at it and i tuched a heatskin of some part that i dont know what it is, and i got burnt pretty bad on it... so im assuming the temp is to high?

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
lol well with an awesome description like that, ide say its too hot also... can you try and figure out what you touched??? something run hotter than others...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah, try to provide more of a description. Also, were you touching it while the computer was on....? GPUs can run really hot, 70-80C.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrox

Yeah, try to provide more of a description. Also, were you touching it while the computer was on....? GPUs can run really hot, 70-80C.

Whell it is intigrated something, the comp was off... the.... uhh. i took the heatskin off and i cant figure out what it is.... i have an asus mobo and the heatskin is the second biggest on the board and the chip is in the center next to the p4 cpu, so its either audio or graphics... stil, what should i do? to hot or not?

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
sounds like a northbridge chipset? what mobo do you have?

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrox

How long had it been off for when it burned you?

30 or so seconds
but then 5 minutes later it was still all hot and burnish...I tuched it 3 times and got burn't all three.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

sounds like a northbridge chipset? what mobo do you have?

Asus ptgd1-la

oh and its in a hp, so you wont find it on the website.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Well 30 seconds is way too soon to touch it...Even after 5 minutes it's not that surprising that there is still lots heat on it; since the power was off the fans aren't ventilating it very well so it takes longer to cool. I don't think it's too hot as long as it's functioning properly. You just aren't meant to touch the part that soon after turning it off. I'm still confused about WHAT you touched, though.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
but you still shouldnt have anything running so hot it burns you... i would suggest finding a larger heatsing and fan possibly for it...

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

but you still shouldnt have anything running so hot it burns you... i would suggest finding a larger heatsing and fan possibly for it...

This one isnt mine, but it is almost identical accept for the PCIe color and the heatskin colors. but on this board the thing i tuched would be the biggest heatskin you can see there.
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...38&modelmenu=1

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
i think thats your chipset... but i may be mistaken and it could be the onboard graphix.... but either way i think you should try and cool it a little better... try and find a larger heasink....

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

i think thats your chipset... but i may be mistaken and it could be the onboard graphix.... but either way i think you should try and cool it a little better... try and find a larger heasink....

So this is pretty much what i call an ohsnap.....

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
well i wouldnt get all crazy over it... if its functioning like it should and is stable, i geuss its ok... but why let things be hot when they dont need to be... i would just suggest getting better cooling, never hurts too....

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

well i wouldnt get all crazy over it... if its functioning like it should and is stable, i geuss its ok... but why let things be hot when they dont need to be... i would just suggest getting better cooling, never hurts too....

should i turn it off tonight? i usualy leave it on 24/7

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
thats up to you... like i said if its running with no problems and you have been running it 24/7 for a long time... then dont worry to much about it, just sometime in the future it might be nice to cool it a little better

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

thats up to you... like i said if its running with no problems and you have been running it 24/7 for a long time... then dont worry to much about it, just sometime in the future it might be nice to cool it a little better

K tHx -dcstegg

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

should i turn it off tonight? i usualy leave it on 24/7

Yeah, if you've been running this thing 24/7 and haven't had any problems; then it's high temperature probably isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Hi Pabsil1,

I'm going to have to disagree with your statement that "nothing should be running so hot as to burn you". During tests I conducted with folks with regard to thermal burns for my company, two things became apparent. 1) Most people will feel pain or immediate discomfort at the 110 to 120degF range of heat. This equates to about 43 to 49degC. That's why it's recommended by manufacturers of hot water heaters to keep the temp below 100degF. 2) Skin reddening and blisters will occur with as little as 1/2 sec contact with a hot surface. This is why the company has chosen to insulate all pipelines, vessels, containers, etc that are in excess of 90degF, just to be on the safe side. Welders will also tell you that mild carbon steel heated to red hot, then air cooled to normal grey coloring will burn instantly when touched...
There is definitely computer parts that will run this hot. The cpu and or heatsink, north bridge, mosfets, capacitors, gpu, etc...
If Dcstegg did touch a mosfet or capacitor an immediate burn could be produced. Why they touched it 3 times I don't know...
And as Hyrox stated, many parts are still very hot even after several minutes. Some parts will even discharge electricity long after the computers been off. Another reason you don't want to mess with power supplies or monitor parts, or even TV's.

I hope it was Ok to express my opinion, :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts